Tetris inspired slingshot

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by LuckyDuck, Jan 5, 2014.

1. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck New Member

After a few drafts of alcolhol, I am inspired to build a Tetris slingshot. I contacted a friend of mine who says she has the tools to cut out the design. As I am very new, my question would be should I stain the different testris pieces on the slingshot rather than carve grooves of the tetris pieces in the slingshot to keep the integrity (no better word for it) of the slingshot as a whole?

Thanks very much,

-LD
    *apologies if the phrasing is off

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Depends on the thickness of your "blocks" I'd do shallow grooves to make all the squares then do the coloring of the tetraminos go a little darker than on the grooves of the pieces, and go with black paint between the different shaped blocks. but it's up to you as the builder

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Great suggestion, Kohlqez!
    This is a cool idea for a shooter! If the grooves are cut very small, you can apply the black paint with a toothpick. They make great precision instruments.
    Good luck and keep us posted on the progress!

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

It's kinda hard to give any suggestions without knowing how you intend to integrate the Tetris theme. Do you have a drawing you can show us?

-Wild Bill

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

This has the potential to be very cool!

I would make a laminate with a ply or, even better, aluminium core then you could cut half way through the outer layers to get the look without worrying about integrity.

6. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck New Member

I'll draw one tonight (hopefully). It won't be pretty. :/

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  7. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck New Member

This was sort of the idea I had in mind. It's not a perfect Tetris set, but oh well. The edges would be more round. Not yet sure if I will want to make grooves inside the wood or just paint with black to separate the pieces.

[​IMG]

I told you it wouldn't be pretty. :D

VWScooby - how would I be able to get my hands on something like that? I'm no "smithie". I'd have to buy it "as is".

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

A single small sheet of 3 or 4mm thick aluminium can be bought at a DIY store and is easily cut by a handsaw or jigsaw with the right blade. Someone was selling ready cut 5mm blanks a while back (was it Antraxx?) not sure if they have any left.

Just keep your eye out, I found three 3x2 foot sheets of new aluminium still with the plastic cover on at the side of the road being thrown out :)

EDIT: Was there a picture with your last post?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  9. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck New Member

Yeah, there is a picture. It's not showing up?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I cant see it....dunno about everyone else?

11. dutch_slingshot

dutch_slingshot Just a Dutch guy

i can see it... i dunno why, im on my laptop right now so maube thats the issue

12. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

13. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I see the picture, but duck, you might wanna make that a little less detailed. I'd go with fewer, bigger blocks personally but it's up to you. If you feel like making all those little lines have at it!

14. noah013

noah013 Member

I agree with kohlqez. It's a awesome idea but maybe too many blocks. It will become very difficult to do that (I think).

Noah013

15. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Where the hell is the picture ? How come I cant see it.:(

16. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

Does it work if I quote it? Love the idea by the way, and I agree with the others on less detail but it's your choice.

EDIT: If you did go with the greater detail, Mr. Duck, I love the design and how each piece fits perfectly. One drawback to bigger pieces is that you may not be able to get all of the pieces to connect perfectly with the design as you do with more detail.

17. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Nope :( Anyone one fancy copy and pasting it in? Im curious. (Ok, ok, Im nosey!)

18. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Seen it now! :) (Its showing up now!)

Wow, that is involved! I was thinking you would have larger blocks when I suggested the laminate idea.

Something Ive been playing around with that may be perfect for this would be decoupage. Its difficult to get curves (or I find it is anyway) but for a blocky design I reckon it would work really well.

19. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck New Member

Gotta cover the other three sides as well now, I guess. :D

This is a project that's going to take awhile. Life happens and I get distracted easily. This is life for me:

[​IMG]

When it's done though, I'll have a video up showing it in working order.