tempered glass

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by studer1972, Jan 18, 2014.

1. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I was watching mythbusters tonight while doing some housework. In this episode, the team was testing shattered glass. It turned out the deadliest propelled shards were from tempered glass, as used in car windows. Tempered glass breaks apart into ~1cm rectangular shards and apparently cuts like razorblades when propelled. I wonder what the effects would be if shot from a slingshot? I think it would wear through a leather, cloth, or duct tape pouch pretty quick, so perhaps a pouch cut from a kevlar cut-proof glove? And of course goggles and stout leather gloves for the shooter. Since it's fairly light, thin Chinese tubes or some of the lighter theraband, perhaps?

Strictly for the zombies, of course!

2. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Maybe even a hinged kydex pouch?

And ammo is easy to find, dont like your neighbours, break their cars windows ( I'm joking of course)

In all seriousness though, you,could get broken windows from crash repairers as they usually just throw it away.

I would love to see some tests on ballistic gelatine! I think it would make a hell of a mess

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

This sounds mean, just the right kind of mean :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

4. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

good idea, but if they are too light then they wont have the needed velocity ... maybe it is maim ammo. Wont kill but will hurt badly.

5. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

You might be like on the classic Christmas Story with the red rider BB gun "you'll put your eye out" :D just kidding. Sounds wicked.

6. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

JK: The tempered glass shards made more and deeper cuts than the standard plate glass. With the extreme light weight of the glass shards, TheraBand Tan might be called for.

Obl1v1Aus: Where do you get sheet kydex?

The weird thing about all this is that tempered glass shards are safer to handle than plate glass shards, but in the MB tests both of the test dummies were perforated by the tempered "safety" glass. I didn't see any cuts on the laminated glass test, and there was just one serious cut on one of the dummies from the plate glass.

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I had one of my cars broken into a few years back. I was being cut to bits by pieces of glass I had missed for weeks afterwards, its really painful stuff!! There is a scrapyard about 500 yards from my house. Im sure they would think I was nuts if I went round there with a bucket and started sweeping up the floor!

8. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I have a friend that's a mechanic specializing in salvage. I can ask him for a handful of shards.

9. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I suspect that it would be a deadly shotgun like close range weapon. For longer range your better off IMO with a single lead projectile.

10. noah013

noah013 Member

But it will be pretty dangerous when using it as a short range weapon won't it?

11. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Most knife making suppliers would stock it, I bought my last lot on ebay though.

12. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Joerg's kydex pouch would be pretty much needed to prevent cutting of the bandset.

I think it would release the payload well after it passed the bands.