Tasmanian Oak "Groundsman"

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Obl1v1Aus, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I present my latest effort.

a few weeks ago the grounds keeper at my work gave me a lovely slab of Tasmanian Oak to put to 'good use' (wink wink, nudge nudge)

I decided that the first thing to come out of it would be a gift for him, as I seem to have caused him to be bitten by the slingshot bug as well (it's very contagious it seems)

It's a 20mm thick board, and it is extremely strong. in the weight tests it supported my full weight (me literally suspended from the forks) and I weigh just a pinch over 100kg.

It's finished in a few coats of BLO, and has 3cm X 30cm straight cut TBG and a laminated Kangaroo leather pouch, I set it up to shoot marbles as we have a TON of them at work (I work at a school).

I'll be presenting it to him tomorrow, I think he'll get a kick out of it!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      45.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      44.9 KB
      Views:
  2. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Very nice! What is the sign between the forks?

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

4. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Very nice, i love tasse oak!

5. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

The symbol is my makers mark, just a combo of my initials

6. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

I am sure he'll be stoked to sling some glass with that beauty.

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Very nice work, I like it. Nice maker's mark too - I'm still trying to figure one out for myself. It looks good.

8. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

good looking and nice grain, I like the "horns" ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

9. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

@ MountainStorm.. Thanks a lot, while he's many years my senior he's just a big kid ( arent we all) I think he's gonna have a blast

@ Withak.. Thanks man, for my makers mark I took a lot of inspiration from J.R.R Tolkiens sigil. I have two variations of it, the second is very similar to Asian script, very Angular.

@ Arturo.. Thank you Arturo, the grain of tasmanian oak is beautiful, and this particular piece has been seasoned for some 40 years, it is very hard and the grain is very tight. The horns were kind of a happy accident from my roughing the shape out on the bandsaw.

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Beautiful wood indeed. I like the model....your creation? the symbol seems mistik!

11. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks BV the model is an adaptation of one of your designs - The EyePoker.
    It's a little wider (100mm) and taller (150mm), the fork gap is shallower (30mm) and there is the 'horn' cutouts that came about from a 'happy' accident with the bandsaw.