Tangerine wood (BV's Pride)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Brazilviking, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I decided that I had to try making one of those petty ones that Joerg makes from the deep core of the wood. I wanted to have a gorgeos one....making too much scrap monsters (wich I love)...
    I've found a diseased Tagerine tree (fruit looks like an orange, with stronger flavor) dying on an abandonet terrain in front of my apartament. (there is a lot of trees there!!) and collected a medium sized fork, bark full of fungus. A woodworm entered one side of the wood, and as an imunological reaction (I don't think trees have an imune system) the wood got darker and some weird drawings apeared.
    The result impressed me. It became my faverite one intantly...and my dad's too :mad:.
    We are still deciding who takes it. We tryed to make a beer drinking competiton, but it ended on a draw as far as I remember...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      107.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      92.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      124.4 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      131.4 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      101.7 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      127.6 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      125.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      102.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      89.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      166 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Oh this is damn nice my friend!!! Excellent, excellent work! The design is really good too, very unique.
    I have a tangerine tree in my yard...you're giving me bad ideas!!
    I would've joined in that drinking contest for sure!:D

3. Brazilviking

The competition itself is worth!

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^always!!
    Now I am outside looking at my tangerine tree...but it is still alive and I like the fruit so I better not chop any of it:D

5. Brazilviking

Recently I became an observator off every single tree that is in my sight range. Fernanda said that I look to them as a lion looks to a gnu....

6. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

wow ! beautiful wood and the dark fork side contrast looks very original, ok that's a hammer monster so I suspect that you will put some heavy rubber on it ok ? if that's the case doctor beware to do a laboratory "strain test" (x5 pull force) before to discard a structural weakness, my concerns is a crack? in the dark fork side, maybe the dark wood is harder than the white one and that will concentrate all the strain at the interface ... maybe you know better than I about force distributions as you work with bones ... only a concern ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^good tip^

Stress test is a good idea! Do you have a bench vise? I haven't a vise (just my share of vice:cool:) so I park my truck on top of them and then pull as hard as I can (aprox 500 lbs force) with a rope. If they don't break, they're good:D

8. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

That is one hell of a stress test. Stress; hmm, I think you are testing for indistructability more than stress. I am actually quite astounded that you even have one slingshot left after your "stress" test.

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

That may be why I've only shared 3 here before:D

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Honestly, I'm only half serious. When I'm putting light bands on a board cut, I don't need to be so stringent.:D

11. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Yea, that may be.

I say you forgo the stress test and go for an aluminum core. That wouldn't be that natural wood look anymore, but you could be sure it would stay in one piece. It would do the same thing if you cut it down the center and hollowed out a space for a steel rod. That way, the natural fork look would not be disrupted.

12. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

Hey, nice slingshot. I agree with arturo, the dark Part of the fork looks a Bit weak, you should Do a test before it probably comes back to your face.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  13. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

This slingshot looks fantastic. :D

14. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

How do you guys make it so smooth :(

Loves it

J

15. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Rasp then file then low grit sand paper then higher grit sand paper.

16. artons

artons New Member

great work!
    you found a good piece of wood, sure as hell you were with the grain, it's simply amazing, the darker part gives it a natural touch.
    i really like it , compliments

17. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I lost my file :(

J

18. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Awesome slingshot and wood. The darkest part of the fork is just fantastic, i wouldn' t make a stress test with that one risking to break it. I' ll just put medium bands on it and kill the cans :D
    I love it, great job Doc!!

19. LW

LW New Member

This looks really nice, it seems you discovered the magic of natural forks…:) I feel the same, when finished a Natural. That is something magical, hard to explain.
    Like all the others, I am a bit concerned about the stability of the one fork arm with strong bands.

I'm not worried about the slingshot, no one else here could give the slingshot in an operation a new arm. Even if this look really weird. :D

gelenk.jpg

20. Brazilviking

The "drawings" in the wood look a lot like a crack, but they are not. And it is not a huge monster....9 cm from forktip to forktip.
    I've made some tests at home and it seems strong (I hope I'm not wrong!!!:D)
    As for the bands, I attached 3,5x 30 cm of TBG, no tappering and small pouch, to try practicing butterfly style (there is a nice person in this forum giving me some great tips and lessons!!!!).
    This one is for finesse! And is quite accurate!
    As for stress dissipation and strength distribution on bones, that is exactaly my speciality!:) Most of my reconstructive bone surgery are in a diseased bone, with heterogeneous characteristics due to infection os anormal healing.
    Thanks a lot for the concern!