Taking care of an old sweetheart...

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Dec 17, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Made this sweetie back in the summer of 2011, during my "Six Circles" phase.

http://slingshotchannel.blogspot.de/2011/08/white-ebony-now-six-circles-shooter.html

It is probably the nicest Six Circles model ever - that rare white ebony is something special. It was really old, worm eaten and partly decayed. But oh so pretty. I love that slingshot.

But the oil did not stop her from decaying further. The lamination came loose around the ends of the fork and handle, the wood shrank and the repaired worm holes lost the smoothness.

So my baby needed attention. I promised her that Daddy would make it all good. Then I carefully repaired the damage and resanded her. One final time my baby was allowed to quench her thirst and drink from linseed oil, then I shut her off from this cruel world forever.

She is now safe behind a thick layer of polished polyurethane. Protected from sunlight, air, water, heat - never again will my sweet baby age. She will stay like this for ever now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

that text reads itself somewhat creepy.....but its areally nice one, remember it from digging through your blog some time ago

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Its a beautiful piece of a wood but what I really like is that after the hundreds of slingshots you have built, fired and been gifted that you still get sentimental over a favourite. Thats true love right there! :)

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Yes... I wanted to try myself at EAP style poetry! Not easy in a language that isn't your first.

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Possibly my favourite design that you've created. Six circles has a certain elegance to it that's hard to explain. This is a beautiful shooter, and well-worth the time invested in preserving her.

6. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

lucky baby

Good to know!

Good to know that outside there, in this hostile world,
    there is a man that lets a little baby drink!
    (This is what I do when riding a big car :) - let the baby drink!)

And of course it´s always good to see such a beauty
    being alive!

Greetings to Papa ´o´Slings,

Be

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

My first time seeing this particular model. It's really quite beautiful. Yes, the verbiage of the post is a bit creepy, it almost has shades of a horror story where a man preserves the body of his dead bride for all eternity. Beautiful and disturbing :eek: But a really amazing looking slingshot. I can see why you would want to protect her for all time.

8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

That is what I meant with "EAP style poetry".

EAP = "Edgar Allen Poe", who was fascinated by death and ways to evade it.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Okay, that makes more sense. I wasn't sure what you meant by "EAP". Yes, his work is fascinating and creepy. One of my favorites is "The Tell Tale Heart".

I would say you got that just right :)

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Loved the writing and slingshot. Very nice.

11. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Beautiful and glad you were able to preserve it!

12. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I like this design ( i ve done SSStake in this style) and i didnt even know its name. Why six circles? You use 6 circles to draw it or what?

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Yepp. Six circles.

Attached Files:

14. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

This is a real beauty, and very lovingly preserved.
    I think you were dead on with the EAP style as well, very creepy but perfectly fitting for the task at hand.

"Shoots this slingshot - Nevermore"

15. Courier

Courier Senior Member

A very beautiful slingshot..

Back to the topic: When will you publish your next book, Joerg? ;)

16. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Only this, and nothing more.

17. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I am actually still working on my doctoral thesis, consisting of three independent publications. My doctor father has rejected my first draft of the first publication, which was based on a study that took many months to complete. The rejection was to be expected (he has a quite fierce reputation in that regard), and I am now working on a much enhanced second version, which will no doubts be rejected again. I hope for acceptance in round four or five.

Of course the magazine that was selected would have published the study in a heartbeat, but my professor did not see it fit for the standards of his chair, and I believe he was right.

That is the problem when you choose a doctor father who is the best of the best - but what kind of man would I be if I would give up the search for greatness late in my life. I just have to keep improving myself.

18. LBH2

LBH2 Junior Member

What a beauty……..white ebony. A sculpture in itself!!! LBH2

19. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

ok. I just drawed (sounds like incorrect grammar, pls correct me if so) the six circles with Joergs blueprint, and i gotta say ... Joerg has big hands or the pictures make it look way slender and smaller xD

20. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Well, I am a fairly big guy and everything attached to my torso is big, too.

:)