Sweetgum natural fork

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by buckshot500, Feb 5, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Found this down by the lake yesterday, and went back for it this morning. It has some small splits in the bark that may go a little deeper, not sure yet. I figured it was such a nice fork it would be worth microwaving and see how bad the splits are. I may opt to epoxy the splits if they aren't too bad.

It was already on the ground for an unknown amount of time and some bur balls were on the larger branch the fork came from. Seems like it's not real long ago it fell from the tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar_styraciflua

Edit; Forgot to mention that i looked up the wood too. Never new it was called sweetgum. My daughter used to call the bur balls "Bird's lunchboxes".

Attached Files:

2. buckshot500

Microwaving a few rounds tonight. Some minor splitting on the ends, but the middle section still looks pretty good.

3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I don't blame you, I'd get enthused about that one too! It's prospecting thru and thru! We call those "cockle burrs" back home in Minnesota. They make untying your boots impossible!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Nice fork! Take your time. I used to call the green balls "Ammo".

5. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

6. jurassicbark2000

jurassicbark2000 jurassicbark2000

mik

Looks like that fork has a bright future enjoy the process .

7. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

still better than sand burrs.

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Good looking fork. I love seeing the different woods from around the world on here :)

9. buckshot500

Thanks y'all!

I nuked it some more and it seems to be getting lighter. I only do enough at a time to warm it up a little. The ends are still splitting a little so I've been giving more time between each cook.

Sorry about the pic background, it's dark outside now. I know i need to work on that though. :)

Attached Files:

10. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Seal the ends with glue before putting in the microwave anymore

Eat, Sleep, Slingshots

11. buckshot500

Okay Thanks'
    ll do that right now, Although the ends are where the water is coming out.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  12. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I've nuked quite a few forks and glued none of them, with no side affects. Two of said forks were sweet gum as they are pretty common in KC. I use the defrost setting and not high power, and also in three to four minute sessions about a half an hour to an hour apart.

-Wild Bill

13. buckshot500

I did seal the ends with wood glue. I have been spinning the fork for one minute at a time leaving at least a half hour between spins.

My microwave doesn't have a low setting, so high will have to do.

I noticed the glue still allows air and moisture to escape through pinholes after it bubbles up and pops the glue bubbles, with a faint cracking sound like chewing gum.

14. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

Many moons ago when I was a little boy (I meant many many moons ago) we would find those sweet gum balls like in your pictures and throw then at each other:D We spent a lot of time outside growing up and we always managed to come up with things to entertain ourselves with. My dad made us slingshots or as we called them as kids "flips", so we would see these all over the yard and shoot them. The green ones will go a long ways. Endless supply of ammo and endless supply of fun for a kid:D I think the memory jogger is what first got me hooked on the forum. Good place to be.

15. buckshot500

Been nuking it a little bit at a time. the glue on the ends seems to have stopped the splitting dead in it's tracks.
    There is still moisture coming out, but I think it's close to being done.

Of course my family will be glad when it is done, all I keep hearing about is why is there a log in the microwave?

16. buckshot500

Sweetgum gets another hour of my time.

The angle grinder was pretty useless for bark removal. Plan "B" worked well with the old rasp I found in my toolbox.

I want to get or make a drawknife real soon, and maybe a rasp rat tail file.

This fork is massive, lots of material to remove yet. Glad I have plenty to work with though.
    I may try to leave a hammer grip if I can pull it off.

Attached Files:

17. buckshot500

The wood was still a little damp, so I nuked it some more just now. I'll probably leave it until next weekend before i get back to it.

18. RamboX

RamboX New Member

Nice wood. I'm looking foreword to see it finished and equipped with bands:)

19. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

Yeah I used to shoot em out back of my grandmas house. She had a huge sweetgum tree out back that was at least 35-40 years old as had been there as a sapling since before my grandma had moved in and she lived there 35 or so years before she passed away

20. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

Buckshot, that's a gorgeous fork of gum, I can't wait to see what comes of her.