survival flipper

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Tilia, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

anyone familiar with this?
    anyone made one?
    think its a cool and usable concept

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nplJ5C7WInE[/ame]

2. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Does anyone know how strong it is?
    It doesn't look like a toy, but also not like the brutal strength on the slingshotchannel..:)

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

That video has been around for a few years.

I think it is a weak shooter that only works with very lightweight arrows. As soon as you put on serious bands, friction kicks in and slows the whole thing down. Plus the arms bend, you can see that the cables tend to jump off the cams.

The guy wanted to produce and sell it, but I think he disappeared. I had a fan who tried to find him a year or two ago, no luck.

4. it looks kind of cool.
    there would be very little friction in the system if you used some abec 10 skateboard bearings (i happen to have some)and you could easily make guards out of some washers to stop the string jumping off the cams.
    also i might change the design so that you get more drawlength for the rubber because as joerg proved to everyone rubber works better over longer distances! :)
    i am going to draw up some plans now! :)

5. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

This is one of the concepts that led me down the slingshot path.
    I'm an archer, but I wanted to find something more compact than a bow for my bug out bag. I ended up going with a slingbow as they are easier to build, a much simpler design and most importantly compact ( Plus its a slingshot, and any excuse for another slingshot is awesome)

You could easily build Joerg's bullpup crossbow design for this purpose, it has way more power and wouldn't take up as much room in a backpack

6. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

This looks kinda cool but I don't understand the way the stings are done up sort of like a compound bow?! Or it was called something else

J

7. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

From what I remember the Flipper was designed by the guy that invented the REB (Reverse Energy Bow) but instead of using limb flex it uses a bunch of rubber bands for energy.

From the video its quite noisy considering what its designed to do, small woodland creatures will flee at the slightest noise and that thing makes a lot of noise when firing.

8. this would work well firing pistol crossbow bolts i think!
    if you put a guide going all of the way down the barrel the longer draw would fire the very light bolts incredibly fast!
    also you could make a pistol version!

9. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Lol double post :) interesting

J

10. oops?
    how did that happen, sry guys