Survival Crossbow

Discussion in 'Zombie / Prepping related stuff' started by ErstMalEinBaum, Nov 21, 2013.

1. ErstMalEinBaum

ErstMalEinBaum Demon Hunter

Hi guys,

as I happen to own a recurve Crossbow (175 Punds, but I am thinking of getting a 120-150 pound bow for easier drawback. While I can draw it back without aid of a drawing aid I would rather be able to pull it back with the stock pressed against my chest for faster reload) and just recently saw an instruction for a "survival shotgun" I thought it would be fun to do the same to a crossbow.
    so this is the link: Link
    and this is my crossbow: Link

Obivous obstacles are that the crossbow's stock is not hollow to fit stuff in and I also can't do the saw trick because of the way the grip attaches to the stock.
    But I could still fit some things to the outside of the stock and under the rail is some empty space as well.

I would love to hear some suggestions as to what to pack from you guys :)

Greetings

ErstMalEinBaum

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

personally i don't believe in adding survival stuff to a weapon, although the idea seems good, its not really wise
    the problem is that its not attached to your person, a survival set should be uses-ed and dependent on when you lost everything else, so your normal gear in your pack

at this point its also likely you lost you weapon because its usually strapped to the pack

say, your canoeing and something unexpected happened and you tipped over, or you crossing a fast stream and you get tippled over, or you fell of the sled and the dogs keep going, now you lost everything icl the survival gear that's in your weapon....
    better to carry the essential on your body and keep your weapon light and maneuverable

BUT,... if you do want to go that way i suggest some gear that you can convert your crossbow bolts to fishing bolts so you can also use it to fish
    and a firesteel is always a golden choice some snares, make it a general hunting gear thingy

3. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

great link that was s good read! amazing shotgun lol!!

this guy has lots of good ideas and covered almost all the bases ... i would throw some antiseptic/ polysporin in there tho

by the looks of your bow it wouldnt be too hard to cram a lot of stuff into the stock cavity still and have it wrapped over with duct tape or paracord both of which is multi purpose. you could even make a sleeve that goes over to hold it all in if you wanted reusable...

4. ErstMalEinBaum

That is a good idea, one of my plans is to get one of these little first aid kits and tape it to one side of the stock.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for water purifying methods? I don't have any experience but read that some give the water a really bad taste.
    I wonder if I should attach the fishing equipment to the tip so I can use it as a bowfishing unit :D

5. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

There is merit to both approaches, though on reflection your is the better choice IMO.

If you are going to store stuff on the weapon, what you ought be storing there is ammo (and weapon maintenance supplies). The weapon and the ammo are interdependent, and each useless without the other. So they ought "sink or swim" together.

Keep the water purification tablets in a belt pak or something.

6. Moin moin,
    laut youtube scheint sie brauchbahr zu sein....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQUNONH7yEs[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Jaguar+Recurve+175+lbs+&sm=12
    aber eine Geschwindigkeit von ca. 72m/s ..... reißt mich jetzt nicht vom Hocker!!!

Latexbänder sind schneller.....

Was ist, wenn du dir selber eine baust, oder komme zum Nikolaustreffen, event. bringe ich meine mit die hat auch 70m/s.... und da ist bestimmt noch mehr drinn!!!

Währe das nicht besser, und schöner?
    Wobei die kleinen Handgehaltenen.... halt Handlicher sind!!!

Attached Files:

7. ErstMalEinBaum

Tilia,
    I agree with what you say but this is just a fun excercise as I normally don't use my Crossbow all that much (too much people around here would call SWAT when they'd see me :)) so it is more of theoretical and I have both a small bug out kit and a much bigger Backpack kit.
    I bought it to get into a shooting club but the local ones that have Archery departments told me I couldn't use it there, so now I am trying to do something useful with it.

I like the fishing gear approach (allthough bowfishing would get me in trouble here so purely for SHTF-Scenarios).
    Right now I am thinking of this approach:
    front part can only hold small objects so water purifying tablets, steelwool, waxed wool and the like go here.
    At the tip i will fit a flashlight (thank god I didn't misspell this :D) and a foldable fore grip. At least I hope to, I bet taclights and fore grips are higly illegal in Germany, but I will have to checkt that.
    On one side of the back stock goes the aforementioned first aid pack, on the other a small "survival Kit" in a solid box that I accidentely bought thinking it was a little first aid kit :) In it it has some nice things though including one of these wire-saws so i have a substitute for the saw.

8. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I fully agree with having your survival gear on your person, but I also believe in having more than one kit just in case.

Looking at that Jaguar crossbow, the hollowed out section in the body is a perfect place to mount a storage tube.
    Cut a length of 2" or 3" diameter pvc pipe glue an endcap on one end and a threaded collar with cap on the other and use paracord or zip ties to hold it in place. better yet do two, one each side. the length of that hollow will determine how long to cut the pipe. the pictures arent great for dimensions but from the looks of it you might be able to make one long enough to hold a few more bolts for the crossbow and one for the rest of your gear.

its cheap, its robust and can be used to hold water in an emergency (if you didn't rush the gluing)

9. ErstMalEinBaum

that storage tube idea is nice, I have about 20 inches because I use 22" arrows and they overlap for about one inch. (reading this a second time: I refer to the length of the crossbow :D)
    What would I pack into it? Fire starting EQ, some pain killers etc come to mind but I obviously won't get a tent in there, so what do I pack for shelter?

10. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

In a 18" long 3" diameter tube I pack fire starting equipment ( matches, tinder, firesteel, etc), 2 space blankets (good makeshift shelter), a life straw water filter, duct tape wrapped around an old credit card, fishing line (for snares, no hooks or sinkers) signal mirror a whistle, a buck neck knife and a large garbage bag.

Theres a little more room in there but I keep that in the car, i also have a seperate fully stocked first aid kit in the car, as well as a pocket kit and a small kt that sits in my backpack

11. Radar1967

Radar1967 Junior Member

Here are my Crossbows with a cpl of blades LOL

Attached Files: