surgical tube or flat bands?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by macgman2000, Dec 27, 2012.

1. macgman2000

macgman2000 New Member

Hello, <br><br>The wrist rocket I had as a kid had surgical tubing for the main band. I see Joerg using flat bands. Is there a difference or is it just what is available? Also, what supplier is recommended?<br><br>Nick<br>Los Angeles, CA. USA

2. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

flat bands retract faster than tubings.<br><br>tubings last longer before they tear.<br><br>pure natural latex would be the best material. look <a href="http://theslingshotforum.forumotion.com/t104-bill-texshooter-herriman-s-express-bands" class="postlink">HERE</a>. second best are theraband gymnastic bands/tubings. you can get them on ebay, amazon or at sport-/orthopaedic stores.<br><br>but be aware: you'll first have to find out the right dimension of bands/tubings to fit your needs! this depends on your strength, what kinda ammo you shoot, your arm span, ... ...

3. macgman2000

macgman2000 New Member

Bill's email address does not seem to be correct. Do you have another address I can order the band from?<br><br>Nick

4. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

According to Joerg, Theraband Blue or Black is ust as fast as the natural latex bands, Gold is just a little bit slower.<br>I would go for Theraband Gold!

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I still prefer TBG vs. all other types of rubber, except when I want to shoot extremely fast with very lightweight ammo. The speed advantage of the thinner TBB or TBG is no longer noticeable as soon as you exceed 10mm steel.<br><br>If you don't taper TBG bands, they are still way faster than tubes, but last as long.

6. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center">
    <tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>macgman2000 wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">Bill's email address does not seem to be correct.</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>nherriman(a)stx.rr.com<br><br>ebay username "Slingshot-Bill"</span>

7. macgman2000

macgman2000 New Member

Where do I get the theraband gold ultra wide so I can cut my own strips? Also, it looks like you cut them with a circular blade cutter (pizza cutter), where do I get that?<br><br>Nick

8. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center">
    <tr><td class="quote">Where do I get the theraband gold ultra wide so I can cut my own strips?</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>"you can get them on ebay, amazon or at sport-/orthopaedic stores."<br><br><a href="http://www.thera-band.com/store/products.php?ProductID=26" class="postlink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.thera-band.com/store/products.php?ProductID=26</a><br><br></span><table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center">
    <tr><td class="quote">circular blade cutter (pizza cutter), where do I get that?</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>also online or at sewing-/paper shops. maybe in some diy stores. olfa-cutters are great.<br><br>pizzacutter wouldn't work well. you'd have to sharpen it like a razorblade.</span>

9. macgman2000

macgman2000 New Member

MM, thanks for the info. I found this rotary cutting tool....it will not let me post links since I am new.<br><br>go to Amazon and search Olfa-Deluxe-Rotary-Cutter-60mm<br><br>It received excellent reviews from people who quilt, but is it suitable for cutting bands?<br><br>Also I checked out Amazon <br>go to Amazon and search Precut-Thera-Band-Gold-25-mils<br><br>6' for< $15, does that sound like a good price for that?<br><br>Thanks for your help!!!<br>Nick

10. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

any rotary cutter will be ok, as long as it's sharp. i have different ones from 18 mm to 28 mm. you'll need a (metal)ruler and a self-healing-cutting-mat or at least a plastic kitchen sheet.<br><br>i always bought the 5.50 m rolls of theraband in local stores. official price is about 45&euro;. don't ask me what that would be in inches or dollars. buying on ebay would be much cheaper.