Suitable wood for natural

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by RRRsdragger, Dec 9, 2013.

1. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

Hi there
    Well, while waiting for my Rambone to arrive, due to unforeseen circumstances, I decided to have a wander around the grounds at work to see what would I could find.
    I found a couple of pieces of hazel does anyone know if this would be suitable.
    Here's hoping
    RRRs

2. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

maybe pics would help

Attached Files:

3. Triphammer

Triphammer New Member

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Yep, It's good to go! Have fun with it.

5. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Do it!

But you must NOT
    use the knife
    to work
    on a beach-fork!

;)

Be

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Ahhh, I forgot about the aforementioned 'Beach Forks' Be, thanks for that kind reminder :)

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I believe hazel trees produce nuts which would make them a fruit tree, technically speaking, and because most fruit trees make good slingshots I would bet that they would work fine. Not sure if you guys follow the logic there or not but there's a little insight into my mind.
    Also dragger it's a lot easier to find wood that would work than it is to find wood that won't. The only trees that I have heard might be deceiving in this are basswood and eucalyptus. But I'm sure there are others so its probably best to always.

8. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Hazel does not really grow in trees, anyway, it's possible to build 80lb bows from hazel so it should work as a slingshot.

9. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

Apologies all, Triphammer was correct it is Birch not hazel but what the heck I've started carving now
    RRRs

10. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

This slingshot making isn't as easy as you all make it look.
    I've started carve the fork after stripping the bark trying to carve as much as possible before I use the rasp and sandpaper. Next step the grip
    RRRs

Attached Files:

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

That's gonna be a sweet ergo for sideway shootin.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yep, that's looking good. I don't think anyone said it's easy, but part of the fun is the challenge of finding the perfect slingshot hidden in that fork. Looks like your on your way to finding it. I agree with Dolo, looking at that fork, I would be making it into a side shooter myself.

13. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

Side shot it is then. I can't do anymore with the knife so should I dry it next?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  14. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

why not?
    i carved this with a knife out of beech...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you have both hazel bush and hazel trees... both ar usable for slingz no problem

15. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

if you happy with the carving then i would sand it and either boil it first in salt water and sand it again before sealing it with oil, or just sand it now and seal it

16. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

So, does boiling in salt water stop it from cracking?

17. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

it will help to prevent the cracking, and makes it dry faster with less risk.. its not a guarantee
    if you boil it and let it dry for half a day before sanding it and oiling it it should be fine

18. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

I'll try boiling it when I get home from work :)

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm curious, I may try this with a fork myself. What kind of ratio of water to salt do you use? Metric is fine, I can work with that ;) Is it something like .5kg salt to 4 liters of water? Or is that way off?

20. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

im not the kind of guy that measures things... i just eyeball it
    i put in a lot of salt but it is still all taken in by the water...
    lets say half a cup of salt on a 2,5 liter pan filled halfway...
    let it boil softly for a hour, maybe two