stickshot problems

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by rock slinger, May 29, 2013.

1. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I made a quick stick shot just to see if I could actually shoot it. All I did was cut down a branch and shaved the bark off. it worked really well but I cut it long so that I could get two out of it. but now that I cut the wood in halve the bands slip off after a few shots, I am shooting less accurate, and I have had 2 shots come back(I believe this is a sender shot?). But I know that I can shoot it because yesterday non of this happened. I also need to know if paracord is best to tie pouch or just tube rubber. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Hi :)
    Strong band and lightweight ammo cause this spring back effect. This and forkhits you can prevent with twisting the pouch 90 degrees counterclockwise for strong, fast shooting (steel or lead) or clockwise for light, slow shooting (stones and marbles). No wide spread with lightweight ammo, no butterfly. Use steelballs or hexnuts instead of stones or marbles.
    Good luck.

Last edited: May 29, 2013

3. YME

YME Junior Member

G-Y, thank you for the information! I'm a new member just made some stickshots as I find them very interesting. So far, I've had a lot of problems shooting them with fork hits and even a hand shot. I usually shoot small rocks and now realize the tremendous difference that the weight of the projectile makes. I just learned about rotating the pouch but didn't know that it could work for both hevy and light ammo. many thanks!
    I'm also curious about what is best to use for the pouch attachment. right now I'm using some nylon cord about 4mm in diameter. Do I need to use something stiffer?

4. Maulwurfsurfer

Maulwurfsurfer Junior Member

I don't think that twisting the pouch makes such a difference on a stickshot, since there is only one band and no angle... but for the pouch attachments i think stiffer is better. I habe build one with TBG and a piece of tube on the pouch. It works perfectly fine. Don't forget to flip, to avoid forkhits. You can take a look at the thread of mine where i show my ss' s ther u can see my stickshot too.

Keep it up but safety first. Don't hurt yourself.

5. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

what makes the difference with single bands is tweaking or bending the pouch, I shoot bareback no band separation safely ...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW8eIxi4OWo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW8eIxi4OWo[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUdHfW4qQMA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUdHfW4qQMA[/ame]
    maybe this can help
    Cheers
    Arturo

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  6. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Awesome

Arturo!

you are (bareback and always) awesome.

Be

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I hate the stickshot concept......

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

stickshots are worthless to me, my beautiful manzanita stickshot is going to become a handle for halfring shot.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Why so guys? :confused: I was thinking of making one myself, just for the experience, and the fact that I have some straight pieces of (forkless) wood from some recent tree trimming in our yard. But seeing some stickshot hate has got me wondering why. Is it that they are unreliable? Not fun to shoot? Inaccurate? Cause injury/pain? Just wondering based on your experiences with them. I've never tried one, so I'd like to hear what you have to say.

10. dolomite

dolomite Banned

E, i was wearing astars Moto GP gloves and still nearly wrecked my pinky knuckle. I got 99 problems but a stickshot aint one.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That would have been some pretty wicked pain. And those would be some protective gloves. Having recently experienced my completely unprotected hand strike, I can sympathize. Just curious, were you using Arturo's flip and twist method of shooting and still have the hand strike?

12. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

There was a video here about 3 months ago about a man shooting short arrow-bolts with nothing more than a thick bandset in his hand into a wooden target. A minimal stickshot with lots of power, sorry i did'nt find it again.

13. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Yep, ammo weight was perfect for band and everything. I'd get two good shots then six bad ones, not worth the time to me personally. I dug the idea not the reality.

14. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

The sticksthot is an appealing concept, as it is the maybe the simplest (after bareback) and very pocketable ... I am not afraid for fork or hand hit bending the pouch in the correct direction (as explained by dgui, torsten ... and me) always works, bending the pouch wrong (opposite) always gives fork or hand hits, this is mainly the cause of all fork or hand hits, (an unintended bend(tweak) of the pouch when releasing, I am not sure that the turn(twist) for it's own grants safe shooting (but indeed adds vertical consistency)) ... so my main reservations about single band stickshots is a reliable pouch opening, should be used with stiff pouches and enough paracord to grant the open, if not may led RTS's, also it shortens the draw due the paracord attachment ... even I have shoot a stickshot a few times (as a test) I didn't like it, gave me many fliers, it needs extreme finesse to release accurate shoots ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

15. YME

YME Junior Member

Arturo , thank you for the videos! They were very helpful to me in learning about my problems with my stickshot and some other SS shooting problems I have encountered. This was the first time I had heard of bareback shooting. I played with it a bit and will add this to my arsenal.
    Muchas gracias!

16. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I have drop the stick shots, because of the fact that I can shoot sideways, but upright I don't get fork hits