Stickshot (original)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Iinventedthestickshot, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Iinventedthestickshot

Iinventedthestickshot New Member

Not just a silly name; I'd been working on making catapults without a handle (the 'Fork U's') and it occurred to me that a catapult without a fork could have advantages. That evening I spoke to Jorg, and other experts on the forum at the time, and he said theoretically it's possible ... within a day or so he had his wonderful video up, taking my cobbled together design and applying some skill to it. After playing around a while I made my own video, furthering the idea.
    So by request, here it is.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLblCPGfUXk[/ame]

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Nice work and a great video! I've often wondered if the stickshot and the PFS design provides an increase of accuracy? It may be only a thought, but it seems that by removing a fork and a set of bands, you decrease many variables that could otherwise hinder accuracy.
    Either way, this looks like a good project for the day!

3. Iinventedthestickshot

Interesting questions still to be answered. Please play around, but be careful and use a small pouch and goggles.

4. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i experienced to be much more accurate with narrower forks. maybe it's just by chance or a matter of getting used to it.

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hmm, interesting. Maybe there is some science behind this.

6. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

left/right was not the problem on shooting sideways (gangsta style). i found it much more difficult to aim with wide forks to up/down.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  7. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I always shoot SSes sideways for some odd reason. It's more natural for me to.

8. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

The physics behind it is solid. Instead of two areas of pull (from one/more band(s) having two attachment points) you get one. It's a single-trajectory trebuchet, hand-held.

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^True^

And, additionally, the single band may allow you to sight along it more consistently than two bands would. Of course, it comes at the expense of power, but I still think a single band set can provide more than enough power for any use.

10. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

why? i would use the same amount of rubber as for two fork tips. only the flip forward action and twisting and pinching the pouch comes at the expense of accuracy in my case.

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^ You are absolutely right!! I must have had too much beer last night and it slowed down my brain. For some reason I never thought about that!! Wow...that's just scary.

12. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i don't see the problem. you didn't want to say beer=bad, right? :D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  13. Iinventedthestickshot

hahaha; if anyone's interested, there was one reference to a Romanian way of shooting that has a strip of elastic stretched over the hand; it's shot in a similar way, but it's not a stick-shot. Any other historical mentions would be most welcome.

14. Courier

Courier Senior Member

I laughed out loud when I heard "butterstick" , because this picture has come in my mind again.

Here it is: :D
    [​IMG]

Nice video by the way! :)

15. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

for some reason i'm a bit scared of butter now ...

16. Iinventedthestickshot

Thanks Courier.

17. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

do kids toys count?

18. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Is that 'butter stick' a real product?? If so, that is a bit scary! Reminds me too much of glue sticks from kindergarten!
    This has to be a joke! But...I thought that bacon-flavored mayonnaise was a joke too. Its not.

19. Iinventedthestickshot

Yeah! Anything; I 'd really like to know if this was invented by me or not ...

20. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i'm thinking of the plastic planes i launched in my childhood with a stick that had a hole with a rubberband attached to it.

something like this (couldn't find pics of the models i had):

http://grabcad.com/library/rubber-band-toy-glider-1

well, it's not exactly the same like your stick-shot because it has no pouch and therefore doesn't shoot stones or such ...