stick shooter

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Tilia, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i made a simple stick shooter but have some difficulty shooting

some how the pouch doesn't release well or something else is wrong but it just doesn't work well
    does anyone have suggestions for me? it would be appreciated
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

use a longer paracord and maybe a stiffer pouch ? honestly I've never trusted the single band concept ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It may also have to do with technique. I've played around with the idea a bit, but I haven't managed to get the technique down consistently. At the very least, look at the PFS shooting by folks like Arturo - a good, well-timed wrist flip is likely going to be critical to making the stickshot work properly. Some have suggested practicing with safer ammo, such as wadded up balls of aluminum foil, until you get your method down. You might also be better off making a PFS instead so you can use 2 anchor points instead of one for your bands. Again, Arturo's videos will show you just how accurate you can be with a PFS.

4. Mixerman

Mixerman New Member

I actually prefer 1/2" rolled balls of masking tape. Good control and still packs a punch on the target, yet no damage to your hand or SS. I believe with enough practice, most designs can be effective

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

If it was me I'd try a pouch half that length, and probably a bit stiffer, with a longer cord.

Idea being you force the pouch closed with thumb/finger to shoot and the second you release pouch is trying to open, freeing the shot.

Also I think some of those PF masters do a partial twist of the pouch which may have an effect.

6. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I think the " tweak and twist" method would work. Holding the stick a bit forward will help if combined.

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The technique is to start flipping down the stick and release the pouch when you feel the pull from the flip in the pouch hand.

8. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

in a stickshoot the twist/turn will not harm even I think is not necessary, twist/turn works for a two point anchor frame, only the tweak/bend and flip will clear the shoot, I am more accurate tweaking than flipping ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

9. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i thank you all for your input

dont think i need a thicker pouch, its made of a thick leather belt, maybe make it smaller though

i twist and fliped it, twisting doesn't seem to have the same effect as it has with a normal sling
    and the flip i did before didn't help, ill try to start the flip before the release see if that helps

i use acorns to practice, a single-shot seedbomb:D

stick shooter seemed like a good idea because its easy to stowaway, but i don't think its a keeper for me

10. CEZ

CEZ New Member

I like the pocketability of stickshooters but mastering them is hard. You can try tweaking the pouch, check out PFShooters' channel on youtube for more info on that technique. (Twisting and)Tweaking guarantees that your ammo will fly over the frame because of the speedbump effect that your thumb forces on the ammo.

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

you may have too much rubber for acorns, I find that heavier ammo works best. That being said, I swore them off after a failure to release put a dent in my shop door six inches to the left of my face.

12. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

its one band less than my forked slings, and they dont have a issue
    i also shot marbles, and they give the same problem

13. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I can't offer anything as I neither like nor trust the danged things.

14. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Don't use para cord use tube. This can cause returning shots.

15. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

its elasick shockcord

16. Malleus

Malleus Suspended User

The cord joining the pouch ends looks too short, I use about 6 inches (150mm) of shoe lace and don't have any problems with the pouch opening.
    Next one i make I'll use a length of tube instead of the shoe lace, just for the extra stretch.

17. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

yhea... i abandoned the sick-shooter principle maybe play around with some pickle-forks

18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I'm with you on that, Tilia. F stickshots!