Starting with some PVC

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Flipgun, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

The other night I was stopped at a red light by a construction site and a piece of PVC rolled rolled down the hill, bumped off of the curb and landed in the trunk of my car. (That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.) [​IMG]
    It is about 4ftX8" with 2cm thick walls.
    I cut a piece from it, heated it up in the oven and rolled it as flat as I could get it, stuck a template on it and started cutting on the scroll saw. After I got it cut out, I used a 2way rasp to shape it up without much luck. I decided to try and buff out the scratches and noticed that the buffing wheel was shaping it just fine! I put on my mask and goggles and got after it! This is what I got.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I finished it yesterday and already shot one set of bands off of it. The next piece I make out of this, I will make a lil' more narrow. Also while fork hunting to today this got in the way of my saw. [​IMG]
    the pipe is black on the inside with just a thin outer of blue. I figure to do scales and veneers with it. Fortunately it is easy to glue PVC.
    Hope you like it!
    Happy Shootin'!

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Interesting, I don't think I've seen yellow PVC before, I'm used to white and grey - it's a nice change of pace. I like how easy PVC is to work with. I suppose if the piece you cut isn't strong enough when you test the bands, you could very easily laminate two pieces back to back with some PVC cement - it would be quite easy and quite strong. I can only hope a nice piece of PVC will roll down a hill my way some day ;) It looks really nice.

3. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Looks very nice, well done! I like the aggressive colour too!

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yellow pipes are used to carry Natural Gas underground in the UK, makes it easier to spot when doing roadworks etc, maybe the same?

Anyway, really cool slingshot! Ive seen a few that people have made from pipes that they have left curved, never even occurred to me to roll it flat. Very innovative :)

5. Otees

Otees Another Member

Im used to white and orange. BTW Good Job!!

6. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Hey, cool! Why didn't the rasp work and the buffing wheel did? Does sandpaper work on the pvc?

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice! I've never seen a pvc so thick! That's strong as steel, I suppose!

8. Flipgun

The rasp would gouge the surface and looked terrible, the sand paper clogged up. But the cloth buffing wheel polished the material away. Why? Dunno. It makes a LOT of very fine dust so goggles and mask are a must.

Thanx for the comments. I just saw that PFS that Snader sent Failure. That may be the next thing I do with this pipe.

9. Courier

Courier Senior Member

I suppose it was fate, that the tube landed in the trunk of your car. :rolleyes:
    Great slinshot, flipgun! PVC is a nice material.

10. Flipgun

Kismet! Bro.

11. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I love the look of the yellow great find

J

12. 4950cycle

4950cycle New Member

You can buy PVC in baurd configuration here in the US. They use it a lot in the marine industry. I'm almost shure it comes in 1/2 inch (around 12mm) and 3/4 inch ( around 18mm). It may come even thicker. But I know it comes in these thicknesses..

13. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

Maybe the yellow PVC is the only color that will jump in your trunk :D I need to find that street to drive on. Looks good. I was riding around today and found where a guy had trimmed his pecan trees and 16 natural forks jumped in the back of the car. I might need to ride around more often.;)

14. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I have been seeing some PVC being made into sheaths for machetes and knives. They use a regular heat gun, the kind that looks like a heavy duty hair dryer to soften the plastic.

I'll have to keep an eye out for thicker stuff.

I was eyeballing a thick plastic cutting board not long ago and I think it was made of hdpe which would make a good shooter, but not sure how well layers could be welded together. I don't think there is an acceptable adhesive.

15. codido187

codido187 New Member

We use yellow PVC at my work for are chlorine lines

16. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Buckshot there should be several video's in utube land about reforming hdpe.
    I think for small batch's the easiest is a hot sandwich maker.

It does tend to warp as it cools if given a chance. So it should be in some kind of a form, under pressure as it cools. Then you can fairly easily saw/rasp the final shape you want.

You are correct about the adhesive. But it can be remelted at around 350 degrees F, then placed into a form and squeezed into shape.

17. codido187

codido187 New Member

I wonder if you were to heat it up real good and then vacuum form it with a vacuum and ziploc bag so that it would keep the form with the heat and all you would have to do is peel off the ziploc bag and you would be good. I don't know just an idea I've seen it done with Kydex so I don't know how well it would work with PVC but maybe something to try???

18. Flipgun

I "Found" some blue PVC that is the same thickness. Stay 'Tooned.

19. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Nice shooter Flipgun!
    Waiting for more...

20. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Yeah, sweet shooter! Imho the only thing missing is how it just seems to be begging for a pinky hole in that grip lobe.