Starship Slingbow

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by ruthiexxxx, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Oak (it needs to be!)

The arrow rest is 13" behind the forks giving me a 46" draw but enabling arrows of a reasonable length.

I've fitted it with a double bands of tapered Linatex and the power is awesome ! At the moment I've only two arrows capable of handling that amount of power so I'll have to get making some. 12mm bamboo should be OK.

Attached Files:

2. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I always think of Elves when I see your work! ;)
    Beautiful as always.

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I agree with Flipgun! Your slingshots and bows look like those fantasy weapons of lord of the rings, world of warcraft and final fantasy! What tools do you use for carving? Any special wood?

4. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

A Ruthie-style slingbow - what's not to love.......:cool:

5. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Wow that is breathtaking, i am so jealous!

6. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Thanks guys! I do love making them....and shooting them.

I have been vaguely thinking about marketing "Fantasy Weapons that Really Work" as a theme. I miss the whipmaking and I'm not getting as many orders for the ordinary range of woodcarving----bloody recession!

I love Tolkein stuff and I dig the illustrations from WoW, though I've never played it. (Prefer GTA San Andreas)

I think it might work as a theme :)

I've posted a pic of the tools I use most often BV. Down here in Spain it's any wood I can get. Out in the sticks there isn't much choice in planked wood. I was lucky enough to get several planks of poplar and oak a while ago and some beech...that will last me for a while. And a wonderful friend in Madid has sent me some Boxwood which I love to carve.

Attached Files:

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Wow!!! They seem like elven tools too!!

8. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Really Beautifull! Also the Grips from your Tools. 1+

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is great stuff Ruthie! I love that it looks like an old dueling pistol or perhaps a pirate weapon of some sort! Very impressive work! Let us know how it shoots!

10. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member

Love your arrow rest idea using a shaving brush. No way I'd use my bager hair brush for it though.

11. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Thanks amigo ! It is quite something to shoot. It is a heavy draw even for a weightlifter and I don't think I could do it without wobbling if I didn't have the arm brace.

I've only two arrows that can take the force... I tried a more normal spine-weight arrow and it went beserk, trying to tie itself in knots as it flew, and surgically removing two of the 5 lashes of a Gorean slave whip hanging on the corridor wall. With very strong arrows it was possible to shoot it accurately (by my standards!).

We really will have to make a much more effective backstop arrangement. Lots of hay bales I think. Trying to extract arrows sunk deep into plywood is not easy!

12. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Thank you :) I doubt mine will be the real badger hair though. I get quite cheap ones which I suspect are hog hair. But they do the job wonderfully. I've had chance to compare now with a manufactured whisker biscuit and there doesn't seem to be much difference in accuracy.

13. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Ha! Be careful with those berserk arrows, they are pretty dangerous! Unless you are opposed to buying arrows, some cheap aluminum models may be better for you. Less likely to tie themselves in knots.
    So you make whips as well? That is some intricate work too, you should take a few pictures to share. Leather work is very cool.

14. CEZ

CEZ New Member

That is awesomely sculpted, good work!

15. HandForged13

HandForged13 New Member

That's amazing! Agree with flipgun. I totally think you should market the "Fantasy Weapons that Really Work" idea.

16. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Ah, I didn't usually do the leatherwork I'm afraid...I bought that in. I just made the handles for stockwhips and floggers.

Attached Files:

17. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Power and penetration!!! It looks great

18. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Wow! Dynamite! You have your own lathe, it would seem? I'm jealous, wood-turning has always fascinated me!

19. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

me too. But I've never had a lathe. It would have been really handy when I was whipmaking but I had to do everything with drawknife and spoke shaves.
    Now I've stopped i've been given the chance to use someone else's lathe but it doesn't seem very necessary for the work I'm doing now