starship fail

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by rock slinger, Jan 22, 2014.

1. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Built this last week, but never put the forks on. So the large for that I had originally made was poorly attached, so i tossed it. Then looked in my collection and decide I could spare one. I quickly screwed it on not much better then the other one, and took two shot then I had a fork hit then a good shot then a good shot then the next fork hit ripped the fork. I didn't expect the pvc to do such, but it did. so i was in the club for five shots. it was hilarious seeing the forks fly farther then the ammo. the forks will replaced, but i need some guidance on how to attach them. I was having trouble matching holes and angles. should i glue them together and then drill and screw after they are glued?

Attached Files:

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Please use at least an 8mm aluminum fork!

Please. Be safe!

Be

3. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Yeah glue then drill, or better yet epoxy then drill

4. rock slinger

can i cut that out with a scollsaw? the forktips flew away, and after the first fork hit i should have stoped, but it was tempting.

5. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I am working on one myself. I am using WingShooter's template as a base. I cut it out, stress tested it and broke it. (trying to cheap out on the wood) Anyway I plan to draw lines on the side of the frame, Hot glue a small level to the top of my drill and put in pilot holes. After that I will thread the holes with the screw I plan to use by hand. I'll copy the angle onto a scrap with a dot or two of hot glue, attach the fork and do the same thing, then countersink for the heads.

6. rock slinger

Well I think I am going to fill those holes, then just glue on the forks with wood glue. Then drill and screw. That way bother he holes will match, and the glue with strengthening the connection. I will also make the fork a lot larger. This one had a 1.5 inch fork gap. Probably stupid to even try, but some of them went through!

7. rock slinger

Put on a new bigger fork. Needs shaping, but I took some test shots and it worked great. Better that any other slingshot

Attached Files:

8. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Looks good n solid now with that fork. Sweet build with great power potential as long as that mount joint holds up.

9. rock slinger

So I completely finished it today! Shot it and then pulled out the big ammo. I then got a fork hit with a 5/8 steel ball. It completely smashed the fork. All of the glue lines on the plywood separated. I am going to rebiuld it , but never shoot 5/8 again. So. How can I cut an aluminum fork?