spalting oak

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Tilia, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

made this one the last to days, and the dog hasn't taken it yet so i thought i showed it to you while its still in one piece :D

the forks aren't finished yet.. im waiting for tbg and when that's in ill finish the forks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

there are some holes in it from grubs, but its boiled in salt water so they are all dead and gone

2. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

beautiful ergo curvy Tilia ! congrats !
    Cheers
    Arturo

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Great character in the wood... I do love oak. And the carving is spot on- it looks complimentary to the wood and not like it was imposed upon it. Sweet!

-Wild Bill

4. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Very nice, what does that boiling do? Other than kill bugs is there a propose?

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Really great piece, I like the style of your work. Hopefully this one keeps away from the pup ;)

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

My latest fork has some worm holes too but it shouldn't be a problem

7. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

thnx, that's what im aiming for:)
    i know man who are much better carvers, making very complicated carvings, i try to make it my strength to use the natural beauty of the wood... its natural form and grain...let mother nature do the hardest part for me
    i already showed some staffs and pipe i made here are some spoon examples, not difficult carvings but beautiful wood

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  8. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

draws out the tannin in the wood, kills all fungi, bacteria and insects and helps to dry the wood without serious cracks... accept with sweet chestnut, that might crack while boiling to

it some times also darkens the wood on the surface

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice!!

i've read somewhere that when you boil pear wood(?) it'll turn black, should make an awesome carving!

10. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board