Spalted White Ash Natural

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by WildBill, Nov 29, 2013.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I'm still very new at this, so forgive the poor quality and design, but here's my third attempt at a slingshot with no power tools.

As a kid I used a hammer-grip slingshot with a wrist brace, so I searched the woods nearby for a fork that I could make into a decent hammer-grip slingshot. I found one and went to work. I've been carving, sanding and polishing for the last five hours and I think it looks decent- the spalting really comes out. The grip is rather large but I have big hands- and it fits my grip perfectly. Once the LO dries I'll band up this puppy and see how she shoots.

I'm sure that once I get moved and have my woodshop back in order I'll make some nice slingshots with my power tools (since I'm very comfortable using those but not very good at carving and such) but until then, here ya go. Please go easy on me- I'm fragile.

-Wild Bill

Attached Files:

2. WildBill

These two pics are better- there's no shadows from the patio fence.

-Wild Bill

Attached Files:

3. sonnyboy204

sonnyboy204 Target Misser

I made a slingshot once where I over-thought the handle and it ended up a lot like yours. Mine was incredibly uncomfortable to hold, how does yours feel?

4. WildBill

Very comfortable, actually. I constantly 'checked' the grip and it feels quite natural for by big, obnoxious hand. Of course I haven't banded it yet so I dunno how it'll feel under tension but so far it seems quite cozy.

-Wild Bill

5. sonnyboy204

sonnyboy204 Target Misser

Cool! I thought I was doing the same thing, but then I put some bands on it and it shifted a bit in my grip making it completely different than I intended. Ended up just tossing the damn thing out.

6. WildBill

Well, as I mentioned I am quite a neophyte when it comes to carving slingshots so who knows? I may end up with the same issue. I'll put some bands on it in a couple of hours after the BLO dries and we'll see how she shoots.

-Wild Bill

7. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

cool looking sling... nice learning curve to
    i built them the same way, just carve away where you feel pressure from the wood when you hold it, and i haven't had bands on mine to so maybe it sucks under tension

hope i can follow your learning curve to the top

8. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Nicely done Bill. It looks as if you have it cut so that your hand will snug up under the forks, which are a good height, I think that it going to shoot just fine.

9. WildBill

Thankye. That was exactly my intent- to make my grip indent under the forks kinda like what the Moorhammer does. It' not as drastic but what I wanted was to feel an even pressure in my hand, with more 'beef' on the top and bottom for leverage. If this shoots well I'll try some more variations on the theme, probably a bit more daring than this.

-Wild Bill

10. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Man i must have some issues coz it looks like a penis to me ....:D :D JK is jk! Looks very nice, seems you don't have to be comfortable with your skills for them to be good - power tools are overrated....just wait when the SHTF you'll be happy with hand tools :D :D

11. WildBill

It's even ribbed for her pleasure...

-Wild Bill

12. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

What has to be said!

Hey my wild friend!

You did a good job!

- This shooter looks pretty handy, practical..

and of course: multi purpose :)

No, NO kidding!- That one´s really cool!
    - looks like "effortless", simple shooting..

Which is in no way a sign of no effort involved!

Well done- keep on crafting!

encouraging regards,

Be

13. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Sounds like someone has slingshot envy;)!

14. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Well done and nice finish!
    That slingshot looks ready for heavy duty.

15. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Good job on it! Nice high grip without to much strength compromise in the fork base. Looked like you were comfortable and enjoying shooting it too so your well along deepening the addiction!

16. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

A beauty wild bill that wood :p sorry for using a smiley !

J

17. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

beautiful work!

18. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I think it looks great!

19. WildBill

You go get your smiley on and rock it!

-Wild Bill