Spalted Pecan

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Bighaze51, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

Okay y'all, I scored this piece of pecan last night from my burn pile. I forgot about the limbs I'd cut earlier in the year that kept hitting me when I cut the grass. The first picture is the fork I cut. I set my buck 110 next to it for a size reference.
    [​IMG]

Next, I'm cut the rough shape out with the band saw. It's about an inch thick at this point. I was happy to find some sweet spalting going on but was a little disappointed at all the bug holes. Had to pull a grub out of one. So I filled the holes with sawdust and superglue. At this point the general shape is coming along
    [​IMG]

This picture I've got it shaped like I want. It's sanded up to 100 grit sandpaper and I drilled the fork gap with a 3/4in forsner bit.
    [​IMG]

I've now got it sanded up through 1500grit and she's soaking in BLO right now. I discovered som more bug tracks but decided to let them go. I think this one is going to turn out sweet! I'll update tomorrow after the bath :)

2. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

It looks amazing like always and I mean always :)

J

3. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

looking nice, cant wait to see it finished

but what is BLO?

i always boil my wood for a hour or so in very salt water, this kills the fungi and bacteria, stabilizes the wood and prevent in most cases cracking of the wood

and grubs are great roasted on some coals ;)
    [​IMG]

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

BLO=boiled linseed oil. I prefer raw though as boiled has solvents that can ruin the color of exotics, purple heart becomes drab brown.

5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

thnx, i use the boiled one because it quicker with drying
    but not with spoons or kuksa/kasa, because the boiled one is poisonous

6. Bighaze51

Sweet! Thanks for the kind words once again. I just pulled her out of the "bath." I've just been dipping it and letting it soak in. But here is a picture with the oil still sitting on the surface. I like it already.
    [​IMG]

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's looking pretty sweet. Almost there! Can't wait to see it banded up!

Now, allow the electrician part of me to say - where is the deadfront (cover) on that electrical panel?! :eek: As an electrician, I am required by international internet forum law to comment on exposed panels and other potential electrical hazards :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  8. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Lookin' Good! Lots of character there.

9. Bighaze51

Haha who knows? That panel is in the woodshop at work. I know it not good but DHEC doesn't come down there so we shouldn't get in trouble. :)
    Well here it is. I believe I'll have to cut some groves inside the fork gap as well so the ties don't slip
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Looks good BigHaze - that wood has some character to it. Have you had a chance to band it up and try it out yet?

11. Bighaze51

I did shoot it a little earlier and it's wonderful. However I noticed the way I rounded the tips the ties were trying to slip over the top. So tomorrow I'm going to cut grooves in it to contain them. And the more I looked at it,'the more I realized I wanted that pretty gloss like on my others. Soni just put a CA finish on it and I'm complete now! It really shows the bug tracks now too

[​IMG]

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Did you happen to try doing a wrap of rubber/theraband around the fork before you lay the main rubber over the fork? I've done this after learning it from some others on the forum and I've yet to have a band slip, groove or not. So if you haven't tried it, do a wrap of rubber parallel to and below the fork tip, lay the band over the fork and over the first wrap of rubber, then continue to wrap the band as normal. It may help without requiring you to make further modifications to the slingshot.

13. Bighaze51

Well, it isnt the actual band slipping, it's the ties. When I rounded the tops of the fork I rounded too much and didn't leave enough flat for the tie. So it's trying to roll over the top. I don't mind modding it a little more if it will keep me from having trouble out in the field. I just use the bandsaw to cut a little groove and then round it out with a rat tail file. Easy peasy!

14. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Omg to good to be true

J

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Very nice, really like the shape and the spalting is great. Makes me feel like having a slice of pecan pie too!

16. Bighaze51

Mmmmm......pie. Okay, Doom, because you asked
    [​IMG]

I finished the tie grooves and made about 10 shots. This joker is the bee's knees! It is definitely a straight shooter!

17. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?