Sources for band rubber? Etc.?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by GritDog, Jul 11, 2013.

1. GritDog

GritDog New Member

So here is my first newbie question... where is a good place to buy good flat rubber band for slingshots? :confused:

Side note, while at work yesterday I built a target from cardboard boxes and printed a target from google and fired about 50 rounds into it! My aim is getting better, but im still putting a lot of them left of the bullseye for some reason.

2. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

look for theraband gold on ebay. if you don't like ebay go to amazon. if you don't like buying online look for it in sport/orthopaedic stores.

glad to your aim's getting better. keep on training.

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Remember to choose your bands based on your strengh. sometimes you can be a better shooter if you use a weaker theraband and aim properly than using kinkong bands and be unable to hold the fork without shaking!
    Good luck!

4. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

second that

any other gymnastic bands will do the job also at the beginning. but theraband gold is still the best choice. you don't have to cut it wide so it will be easier to draw and a bit safer too if fork hits or hand slaps happen. use safety glasses and light/soft ammo first.

i began shooting with office rubber, inner bike tubes, bungee cord and commercial tubes from those steel-frame slingshots.

5. GritDog

GritDog New Member

Thanks for the info guys! I'm so ready to get started building! I feel like there is a red rider bb gun under the tree and its christmas eve!

6. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

may i ask, what kind of slingshot you shot at work?

7. GritDog

GritDog New Member

I have a Daisy F16 here at work, and bought a B52 last week thinking the wrist strap would make it easier for my wife to shoot. I didn't realize the band strength difference though, so I might swap the bands on it with the F16's.

8. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

oh, thanx!

once you got used to your selfmade slingshots with flatbands you only will get hold on these daisy's with tubes if you get tired of cutting band sets.

bands are not that longlasting but with no doubt much more fun.

9. greenevegiebeast

greenevegiebeast New Member

I get mine from a local sporting goods store

10. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Bands pack a larger punch. But during an apocalypse (or a similar situation) Tubes would be better. Unless you're willing to carry a big roll of it with you. Also if you go hiking, on trips or "Adventures" I'd carry tubes depending on the time you spend. If I'm packing light and going through a thick "wetlands" with a friend, a flatband's tendency to break, makes it a second to tubing. Though it really depends on preference. You could carry extra bands.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  11. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

once this was a solution that worked for me:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/quadshot-27226/#post177540

now, that i got used to it, i can change bands much quicker in the field.

after all bands/tubes are broken i'd make a primitive bow in that case.

12. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Yeah good idea. In case of a nuclear attack "rubber operated weapons" would be left a little in the dust. 1. near impact area rubber is a solid puddle. (makes scavenging hard) 2. Nuclear fall out winter. (Makes the bands shrivle up and or weaker). Though, that's your decision. Oh also don't shoot glowing green rocks...

13. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i will bear that in mind in the future. :D
    aarrghh ..., am i already green? ... crap! ... too late ... but wait, as long as i don't start to glow there's still a cure for that, right?

14. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

There is unhelpable cancer that has no glowing... So you're dead.

15. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

oh:(

16. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I find the Trumark tubes to shoot a lot smoother than the Daisy tubes. The Daisy tubes hit hard, but they pull hard too.

Some good sources for pre-cut flats (I have used all three of these gentlemen, and the bands and service have been great):
    Flatband (vie eBay) http://www.ebay.com/sch/flatband11105/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
    Gopher Slingshots http://www.gopherslingshots.com/band-sets
    Pocket Predator http://www.pocketpredator.com/three.html

A lot of folks on the SSF swear by Tex-Shooter's Express Bands, but I haven't tried them yet.
    http://www.footbridge.org/Supplies.html

happy shooting!

17. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I think an old school "David" style sling would be the better post apocalypse weapon. Easier to make from more common materials, ammo everywhere, and ammo common enough to make frequent practice an option. Arrows are hard to get right

18. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member