Sos

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by codido187, Dec 31, 2013.

1. codido187

codido187 New Member

How would you cut the smaller part out I was using a jigsaw and I'm just not that good of a cut. Should I ise a dremel with a sanding bit what would you guys do ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388538437.329603.jpg

2. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Use a rasp, it's precise and not too time consuming, depending on the wood I think it would take ~10min.

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I stopped using my jigsaw for cutting slingshots - it's just too difficult to get a decent cut. Rather, I was using a coping saw with a very thin blade to make the curved cuts. If you don't have a coping saw, you can work on it with the Dremel, or if you have a rasp and files, that would be a great way to clean those areas out - I've done that on a number of slingshots myself, and it takes some extra effort, but it works if you have no other options.

4. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you again my friend I found a few deck samples an wanted to try to make a slingshot but you can see how that went lol so should I use a file to take the extra off

5. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

+1 for Withak's comment. A jigsaw will have a LOT of tear-out unless you can scrounge up a really fine blade- and then it won't make the turns since such blades tend to be rather thick. If you don't have a coping saw, then rasping it is best- just make sure that you rasp in a downwards direction from the top/bottom so that you won't have any tear-out.

-Wild Bill

6. codido187

codido187 New Member

I'm going to have to invest in a rasp

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I was typing my response before I saw yours - looks like we were both thinking the same thing :)

8. codido187

codido187 New Member

So work down words because what I did likes dummy is rip some wood off that I didn't want ripped off but that'll be easily sanded to normal since I want to round the handle

9. WildBill

Rasps are pretty cheap. I got this set from Lowe's, and Home Depot also carries them for about $20.00USD. They are combo-tools, having rasps, chisel and end-file functions.

-Wild Bill

Attached Files:

10. codido187

codido187 New Member

Those are very nice I don't have a rasp but I do have a set of kobalt files will those work you think??

See files don't last against the work I do for a living ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388539738.695440.jpg

11. WildBill

Get wood rasps. They're designed for wood. Kobalt files are designed for metals and will not work as well for wood- they'll take forever to get decent results. And btw- get your head out of the sewer, for pete's sake!

-Wild Bill

12. codido187

codido187 New Member

I'll use a dremel for now

13. codido187

codido187 New Member

Lol I'm a sewer rat what can I say that's the cleanest I've been all week that was just a school water meter I was lucky

14. codido187

codido187 New Member

Who would ever think I would break out in the mad hives from sanding down a deck sample

15. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

This is my go to drawer in my tool box. A coping saw and assorted files dose just about anything you need to shape a peace of wood. Oh and a little elbow grease.

Attached Files:

16. codido187

codido187 New Member

I'm going to go and buy me a coping saw and some files I really dislike how jigsaws eat up the wood