Something every shooter should know

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by rock slinger, Sep 2, 2013.

1. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

2. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

There's more than one way to skin a cat, I guess the saying goes.

I find the "speed bump effect" is actually your buddy with heavy bands/ammo. I shoot triple TBG exactly like he says not to except the index finger is lifted for release.
    The ammo bumps up over the thumb, resulting in the bands following through in an arc. Before I started this I had painfully strong handslaps from the bands following through straight and right back into my front knuckles.

I'm glad you found a way to shoot that works for you.
    I am still trying out different anchor points and other experiments with my shooting, but the turn-and-tweak way that I learned works better for me.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Such teachings can be very misleading. What works for one guy shooting his style, his ammo and his fork may not work at all for another guy.

The bitter truth is that fork hits happen every once in a while, and hand slaps are unavoidable if you want to shoot small ammo with serious bands. No general "cure".

4. rock slinger

Yes I agree, fork hits will happen, but it is all about how you hold the frame and how you release the pouch. Their are many ways to hold the frame you just have to make sure that you are not canting the forks. The pouch can be held inmany ways as well, but you can not put a "speed bump" in the wrong place will it will hit the frame. One specific grip might not work for you but there area couple options. Same thing with holding the pouch. I am not trying to argue with Joeg, but just trying to point out my view point. And I completely agree about the hand slaps.

5. rock slinger

This is one slingshot that I got forkhits on. I hold it with finger and thumb wrap or as the man in the video says chocker grip you can see the for hit that lead to that. I also did not have a good release technique. But I can easily shoot this using finger wrap and thumb brace without a problem. This is what aim referring to. Now if you don't like finger support go hammer grip. You can get a fork hit there unless it is your pouch release. That should consist of turn and tweak to speed bumb it over. Other wise use a two finger pouch grip. There are many ways presented in the videos and the are very informative.

Attached Files:

6. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Well, I think that it's up to the shooter to test what he sees and learns from the others and from personal experience to develop his own favorite shooting style. Very similar to orthopaedic surgery techniques. My friends call me "X-ray vision" because I don't use radioscopy during surgery...and usually get same results as another surgeon that uses it. The ones tht tried my way couldn't reach the same results....
    In a deep stoned philosofy, life itself works on that way.........:D

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Several reasons for fork hits. I have seen beginners make all kinds of errors that lead to them. You can eliminate many of these errors by practicing a lot, but sometimes the ball somehow slips out of the pouch and you hit the fork. No "speed bump" or so can prevent this.

As I said, the strategy of one man isn't guaranteed to work for another man. Too many individual factors. The more you practice, the less it will happen.

Hammer grip is not only stronger, but also safer in that regard - that is why I use + recommend it. A fork hit can quickly develop into a finger hit otherwise.

8. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

This SO true. I used to get quite a few fork hits. I tried the various ideas about twisting the pouch. Then I got SERIOUS fork hits!

I solved the problem by learning to flip and using 'Bunny Ears'. They take care of handslap as well.