some yew forks

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by onnod, May 15, 2013.

1. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

hey guys,

i found a nice yew tree walking home from school, which had some nice forks on it, so after homework i took my new homemade saw(a recipro saw blade in a wooden handle) and went to saw some forks. these are just three from about 7 or 8 forks on there, but i'll let those grow on to become bigger :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Nice!

Got a yew tree in the garden, so I will have some forks soon:)

3. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

4. stej

stej New Member

I have some yew forks as well, still drying. Personally I would be careful to cut wood during spring/summer. Some people reported that they crack more easily during drying than forks harvested during winter. Autumn might be good as well imho. Just other point .. :)

5. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

Is yew a type of laurel? That looks a lot like some mountain laurel trees in my backyard.

6. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

That's a handsome saw, good idea. It looks nice and aggressive.

What material is the sheath, and how was it made?

7. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

I didn't know this, Stej. Thanks for the heads-up! Very helpful for me to learn and to keep in mind. So it is best that I wait until this Fall to collect forks for someone.

But to be honest, it's always spring/summer where I live. [​IMG]

8. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Yew is beatuiful, O. I can't wait to see what becomes of your natural forks. Impressive job on the homemade saw too!

9. Bullybreeder

Bullybreeder Banned

While working on those you must were a gas mask becasuse sawdust from yew is highl toxic

10. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i didn't know that, but they're cut anyway now so we'll see

thanks, the sheath is made from the plastic cover around a binder, i heated it up and slowly bended it, after that i used a soldering iron to poke the holes and melt the sides together

11. Loei

Loei New Member

I saw some slingshots made from fresh wood here, and was quite surprised, because a piece of wood is supposed to dry for a year before being usable. It may depend on the type of wood, but it has to lose a lot of its water.

As far as I know, if it's too fresh, it can crack, shrink, or change a bit its shape.

However, it may not be a problem for slingshots, and I guess it's very cool to build one like that...:)

12. Bullybreeder

Bullybreeder Banned

no dude when you sand them the dust is a thin powder and it can get into your lungs. When your sawing none realy gets into your lungs because the are ant sized chunks.

13. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum but I had to chime in on this thread because it is completely ironic! I just pruned my mothers front hedge and harvested several workable forks yesterday. Tonight I was trying to determine the exact species and came across the toxicity warnings also... Very stout and solid but is it worth the hazards..?!

14. stej

stej New Member

I read that everything from yew is toxic, so one has to really take care. Dust mask is a must.

From what I have seen so far, it's really worth the hazards. The wood is very pretty after the finish, or better unique. Maybe google yew a slingshot and I hope you will find some pics that persuade you :)

15. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Yeah I agree, it has beautiful inner sap/heart wood! Not too sure about cracking but is it a bad idea to peel it green but cut over length and microwave (junk unit for such use) for short cycles? I just tried a scrap piece and it bled LOTS of pink/purple moisture. Even burnt the center a bit but no cracking..

16. stej

stej New Member

My friend told me that yew has little cracks or none. That drying yew is piece of cake :) Anyway, I have still no experience with this, so I don't know.
    If you would like to speed it up, ok, then microwave. But also microwaving should be slow..

17. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Right, it seems to have a very stable grain. Even the old dead in stubs of previous pruning are barely cracked at the end grain. I'm in no rush for a shooter though,just trying to "spirit" this stuff
    a bit is all. One fork here is a very close identical to Onnod's largest (sacrificing any handle on the top mini). I'm thinking "V" frame with a "feed it anything band/pouch!"

18. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Also to Onnod, very snazzy saw!!! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with out of those cuts too! If I move on mine and figure out how to post pics I'll put them up

19. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Two days ago i foud a dead piece of rosewood or blackberry wood where a tree was fallen down years ago. So the rosewood is dry enough, i thought and formed the fork yesterday. After this (no mask) a slight could was gone, no joke.

But i also knew a man who worked in sawing wood for decades without a mask who was not able to work anymore because the wood-dust in his lungs...

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  20. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

Nice. Yes forks should be harvested in winter, because the wood is a lot more dry. If there would be as much water in the wood as in Summer, the trees would crack because the water would freeze.