Some PVC shooters for the family

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by buckshot500, Feb 2, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

My wife has been on my back about making her a slingshot since I have been on this forum and I have been wanting to get her interested in the sport.

So I have been trying to figure out where to start. I'm the kind of person who wants to get a bunch of different ones started ASAP.

But I saw this youtube video and decided to look in the plumbing aisle at the home center today. A 5' long piece of 3/4" PVC pipe was only $1.58

Here is a link to the vid and thanks goes out to "Backyard Armory" for posting it.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlezmulTiXc[/ame]

I had some lavender bands I had cut last week just waiting on whatever i decided to use for her fork. The pressure treated pine moorhammer failed the stress test, so something was needed instead.

Since I was making one, I made a second one for my 20 year old son too.

We had no ammo on hand so we used some expired vitamins we found in the cupboard.
    At least this gets them shooting, and understanding Dad's new obsession.:cool:

Attached Files:

2. buckshot500

I found some old skateboard grip tape to wrap the handles in.

Also I pinched the ends flat to use flat bands, instead of drilling them for para cord.

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I saw that video yesterday funnily enough.Thought it looked like a really good idea. Nice job on them, the family thats shoots together, stays together :)

4. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Lots of options with PVC, playing around with a starship that has a single piece of 1/2" pvc flattened, split down the center then adjusted slightly with heat to make a V.

Idea being it would "spring" like bowlimb's to add resistance, and naturally "flip" on release.

However it is still a work in progress and I am still in Hibernation so its a slow process.

Good job on your shooters buckshot, now make one more, put the fork on the end of a 2-3' piece of 1/2 or 3/4" pvc to make yourself a slingshot rifle.

You'll be amazed at the difference in accuracy it can make.

5. buckshot500

I am planning to do just that, but it might be a little while before I get to it. I have very limited hobby time so I'm going to work on my birch ply next. I think I'm going to try a rambone and maybe a moorhammer next.

I'm also considering getting some 6" PVC pipe and flattening some large pieces then glue several layers together. It'll be white plastic with purple glue layers between, but I bet it'll be plenty strong at 2" thick. i could carve about anything out of that.

I'm also anxious to see how my bandfile works on PVC to shape it. Thinking it might work well, since I remember sanding the pipe for plumbing applications.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I have a band sander in my shop that

A works wonders on PVC

B PVC cleans the wood crud out of the sandpaper extending its life.

If your going to work with 6" pipe I suspect you only need 1 layer for a functional shooter. So stack on the thickness you want for handgrip. But remember the more you put on, the more you have to take off. :)

I did make a shooter kind of a pvc brass knuckles thing, 4" pipe flatted and doubled over onto itself. Then cut a hole in the center for the hand to go through, and a couple of short forks above that. Pretty strange critter, but it did shoot.

7. buckshot500

That's what I'm looking for a cheap way to try out some weird stuff and ideas I've been getting as i learn more about slingshot making.

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Expired vitamins are pretty high up there on my mental list of weird and creative ammo

9. Can-Opener

Can-Opener New Member

Way to go looks like fun!

10. LW

LW New Member

That’s nice and easy. And your video tutorial is very good. For target shooting and small balls it seems to be strong enough.

But be careful after shooting a while, these PVC Pipes are not made for a continuous and dynamic stress. Please check the fork from time to time.

Your accuracy is quite well, but have you ever thought about hitting the grill as the can was on it? ;)

11. buckshot500

I used vitamins as a kid sometimes when practicing in the basement. Gumballs and hard round candy are good ammo too, for target shooting.

12. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I've heard of people using gumballs and jaw breakers but vitamins are new for me. Are they accurate? What kind of damage would they do to a can?