Some alternantive "cheap" steels for blades

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by BrPio, Oct 4, 2013.

1. BrPio

BrPio .

Last week I had some time to do whatever I wanted. So I did a project I wanted to try for some time. I wanted to see what quality of steel cheap wreaking bars and pry bars were made of, and I had a simple one piece sword idea in mind. First I purchased a cheap 36in wreaking bar and 2, 15in flat pry bars from Harbor Freight. Did every steel and forge test I know. As the tools they were intended to be they had an uneven temper not very good. However, the steel was a good quality high carbon, same carbon content as used in mill files. Next in a long marathon session of forging I made a sword from a wreaking bar. 30in total length, a broad blade, very thick blade but fast, tapered, and balanced (1in at hilt to 1/4 at tip), the hilt is forged from the blade and later to be cord or leather wrapped so it's a simple 1 piece sword. Deferental hardened so it has a temper line. Very strong, I was able to take a 12lbs sledge hammer to it and cut into railroad spikes and it held a razor edge. I still got more work to do on it (polishing and fittings, scabbard) and I'm thinking of forging a matching sling shot. Should I forge a matching sling shot?:rolleyes:
    sword 002.jpg

sword 004.jpg

sword 001.jpg

2. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Good steel for the price. Not the best steel but definitly not the worst steel!

3. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

this is amazing!!! i wish i had the abilities to do stuff like this!! please give us the whole process step by step with what we need to do it ?? please?? and yes , make slingshots!

4. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Ryan, first heat up the metal to extreme temperatures (red hot, but hotter than cherry red) And hammer it into shape on an anvil, then heat treat. Of course it is a lot easier said than done and there are more complications.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I respectfully request you refrain from trolling every post BrPio puts up, its obvious he knows what he's doing far better than most here. I doubt he needs the negative commentary.

BP, that blade is really damn cool. I dig the rustic look, kinda mad max-ish. You should call it the fecalator as anyone seeing it on non friendly terms would emmediately soil their drawers.

6. BrPio

BrPio .

No not really. These low priced steels were a fairly good quality with carbon content consistency. I'v worked with white leaf steel and dragon well steel and this low cost steel produced the same quality of blades.

7. BrPio

BrPio .

If it is cool with JoergeS, I could post some more "how to" stuff on the subject and some alternative methods for the weekend hobby. I too am still learning new stuff after making blades for close to 20 years.

8. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Wow, very cool project.

9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

awesome, looks like something elven :D

10. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

And Dolomite renews his license to be a jerk again.

11. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Wow!!! Can you show us a video of how you do it? Or some pictures of your creations? :D....wait a sec....

12. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Notice the words RESPECTFULLY REQUEST? Thats not being a jerk. That would be doing something like...trolling the blade maker you're clearly insanely jelouse of. BTW, who ever said my liscence was lapsed, sonny?
    I've noticed you only troll those of us that are clearly talented builders, maybe you could be one if you spent more time working on projects and less on trying to sound cool by regurgitating things you heared from someone else. I was trying to be nice about it but enough is enough. Your uppity demeanor is the reason people don't really dig you, it's ok to not know everything.

13. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

What do you have planned for the pry bars?

14. BrPio

BrPio .

After all the testing on the steel they are just small scrap. However the scraps will make a good set of wood or stone carving knives. I'll also be buying a bulk amount for various projects. the more I use the steel from those bars, the more I like it.
    And on a side note for all interested; I'll try to post pics of the finished sword from the start of the thread.

15. BrPio

BrPio .

I took a quick pic of the sword itself, still need to make a scabbard (i'm thinking carved/tooled leather). Once I finish the polish the temper line was very profound to a point where the blade almost looks black and silver. Hilt is a simple cord wrap over a leather lining and a laminated and treated leather hand guard. And later I'll attach either a tassel or cloth on the hilt, balance the soft with the hardness of the steel.

Attached Files:

16. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Wow! I would enjoy step by step post.
    People like you BrPio amaze me, I know nothing of forging, it's like medieval magic to me.
    And make a matching sling shot!!! Did you really had to ask?
    Great stuff.

17. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

As onnod said, like an elvish sword from the Lord of the Rings movies:)

Great one!

18. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

its friggin amazing and i love it. i wish i had the capabilities of making my own!

19. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Vicious.....I love it!

20. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Wan

Please let me find words accurate enough to be understood right.
    Please let there be no stoolstorm of any kind.

What I feel about the "Wan-issue" and what I hope can be understood
    as an attempt to regard the words that he spoke here objectively:

Wan wrote initially:
    "Good steel for the price. Not the best steel but definitly not the worst steel!"

Pio didnt mention the price.. the rest is just true. Yet unnecessary to mention...
    Wheather may change.. or not.. _________Then:

Ryan, first heat up the metal to extreme temperatures
    (red hot, but hotter than cherry red) And hammer it into
    shape on an anvil, then heat treat. Of course it is a lot
    easier said than done and there are more complications.

Which is also true, yet unnecessary and most likely
    basics BP knows in his sleep.

Regarding these two (in essence meaningless and rather neutral?!!!)
    posts I get to try to "feel" what those words are about..

My answer: Here we have a person obviously wanting to be part of this
    community BUT: on an equal eye-heigth! - which seems to be important
    to him (as to any of us..and indirectly brings up and also answers the question: why?-
    my answer is he had to "swallow" enough -from "his plates" )

Dolo reacts: "I respectfully request you refrain from trolling every post BrPio
    puts up, its obvious he knows what he's doing far better than most here. I
    doubt he needs the negative commentary."

Which marks that (to us) invisible break-point for Wan: he didn´t mean to be
    negative (and I haven´t found really NEGATIVE speech til here,
    and most likely not at all in Wan`s criteria of what "normal" negative or
    destructive commenting or reactions are - trust me, he´s being treated a
    LOT worse and thinks his "armour" against that is normal, too..)

This was (in Wans supposed legitimate perception) "injust"- being labeled as
    "Negativator" and at that point I feel like I have to take up the cudgels for
    for him: he didn´t mean to be BAD (and managed to just to THIS point !? )

But THEN it all goes wrong, he´s driving horses through the frontyard, being
    pretty unpolite.. He failed to use words like:

" D´! i beg you pardon, but regarding your reaction to what I said,
    need to say that this makes me feel bad and misunderstood..."
    He fails to EXPLAIN what he´s about!

(I suppose because he has no reflected
    consciousness about his self at that point)

His reaction for sure is off limits!- no need to react like that
    (here he messed it it up literally, because of the prehistory
    -- which I do NOT KNOW --
    people here legitimately couldn´t act neutral or mildly- which I
    DO NOT DISRESPECT!)

It just makes me sad a bit, because what derived from that and
    the final result all seems in a way logic to me. But mostly unnecesary.

---To speak this out for my heart, and even more hoping Wan will read this---

Be

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013