..so here´s a bunch of selfmades..pt.II.. Naturals

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by fabi, Jun 1, 2014.

1. fabi

fabi Junior Member

..Salü :)

..to compensate my absence i took some pictures of my naturals i did the last few weeks.. these are mostly some kinda pfs-shooters and/or for a supported grip.. which is my favourite shooting-technique next to the bunny-ear-style..

..and to make it look nice, i put them on a glas plate above some forks who are laying around drying.. ;)

..a small one with denim micarta and ridiculously big bands.. 4cm->2,5 tapering.. hits like a horse with 15mm steel..
    [​IMG]

..my favourite pfs by now, just oiled wood with bark, nothing fancy..vanishes in my hand..
    [​IMG]

..a bigger one with black denim micarta..
    [​IMG]

..a shorty with antler..
    [​IMG]

..and my smallest one, also with antler.. the caps are made from old buttons i inherited from my grandma..
    [​IMG]

..to compare the sizes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..if you want to see one in detail, just let me know..

so, cheers & good night..

Attached Files:

2. fabi

fabi Junior Member

..fake mahagony or how to make black wood with oil..

Hi Guys,

i just tested a way to blacken wood, with cooking it in oil.
    don´t know, if it was shown here before, but found nothing in the search.. it´s a common way to make wood harder and unsusceptible to water and so on..

[​IMG]

..as you see, it´s fully black to the bone.. in the back you see the regular dried wood..

the left one is untreated, the middle one is oiled with linseed and sanded with a 320 grid, and the right one was fresher cut wood with some moisture left, which caused it to split.. so better use really dry forks.. glued it to the same wood without treatment, might look nice, when finished.. :cool:

..what you have to do..
    (after taking care for safety!)

- put your fork(s) into a pot with oil, i used rape oil (wtf rape oil?? what a name btw.. never heard the englisch translation of rapsöl.. :eek: ) and use some weight to push it under the surface..

- heat it up with mild temperature at around 100° Celsius for about one hour
    (you will see small bubbles coming out of the wood) this penetrates the wood and is necessary.

- then turn the heat up to the max (± 170° Celsius, not higher because of dangerous fumes) and let it boil so long as how dark you want your wood.. for a while, nothing seems to happen, but as soon it starts to change color, it can go relatively quick, depending on your wood and thickness.. you also see the oil color starting to change.. you can make a mild brown up to charcoal black..

so you have to have a permanent eye on it (which i recommend anyway, since this is HOT BOILING OIL!) :rolleyes:

.. i did a small testpiece first, but it was all fine, so i gave it a try..
    ..sacrificed a finished new pfs for the hope, went better than expected.. it´s the middle shiny one..

..i think i´ll do this again.. :)

cheers,
    fabi

Attached Files:

3. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

There is someone who has posted about this in the past. However, these came out a lot darker. I have got this on the "need to try" list.

4. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Done it, posted it....search for "deep fried delight".....and rape seed oil is canola oil

EDIT: nicely written tutorial, some of my experiences: 30 to 45min on high and no "warming up time" seem to have the exact same effect.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Slightly drifting from hobby to diagnosis...

;)

Nice work,

... indeed a "bunch"

kind regards to DD,

Be

6. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

7. BillyBob

BillyBob Junior Member

Those are some good looking naturals!!

A quick question on the shiny black one: Did you oil it with linseed oil and THEN sand it to 320 grit or the other way around?

Sorry, I don't know a lot about finishing wood!

Also, do you know what type of wood the forks are made from?

8. fabi

fabi Junior Member

Thanks Guys!

@mvd: found it, great looking.. i tried it like you described last week with no results, i think, my temperature was way too low.. but i´ll give it another shot..

@BillyBob: i think it´s beech, and yes, the other way round, first sanding, then cooking.. after that i rub the surface with a round hard wood to make it a bit more shiny and to compress the top..

9. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Be advised.....it smells like a combination of "frittenbude" and charcoal...I did it when my girlfriend was out for the weekend. My stove is rather old, but it heats up in no time and keeps the temperature high even when its turned down. I have to find my 300°C Thermometer to monitor the process the next time.

Btw, I didn't say anything about your slingshots, shame on me.

I really like your work, they all look very good.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  10. Gniaffron

Gniaffron Junior Member

Another nice set of slingshots!

I have tried the boiling process as well (after having seen MVD's one) and I like the smell it gives to the wood (mine smells like popcorn). But i didn't leave it long enough to become as black as yours I think...