Snow day off from work=spikeknife

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by buckshot500, Jan 29, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

So we had some snow and the roads were iced up.

I answered a question about my LP gas forge on here and grabbed that thing.

Pics will tell the story somewhat. Warning, there's a few pics.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. buckshot500

Here's some more pics.

Attached Files:

3. buckshot500

Still have more sanding to do, but the bandfile tool is helping.

I also have to heat treat it yet, but that will be another day. Kinda chilly outside and I needed to get in the house for some coffee.

I should point out that between the 2nd and 3rd pic, I twisted the spike with that vise and crescent wrench. One complete round.

It took me about an hour and a half to do everything i did today, not counting pulling out the tools and putting them away again.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Yup, this guy's a keeper.

-Wild Bill

5. buckshot500

The thing I liked about making this was how I didn't have a blade shape in mind, other than a Bowie shaped knife.

I just hammered away and the blade took this shape. Almost like it wanted to look that way. So I just kept going until it decided I was done.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Looks good man. I wish I could get a snow day off work. To bad I usually work from home.

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

That turned out great. I really like the twisted handle. :)

8. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Sweet! Really nice work!

9. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

10. buckshot500

Thanks y'all. This is the first knife I ever made.

I have many years of making other things, but never set out to make a knife until today.

I have watched a few vids about making this type of knife and it was easier than I imagined it would be.

I want to polish it and etch my friend's name into one side and my mark or something into the other side, but that is only after a good bit more work is done first.

I also plan on making a flattened PVC pipe sheath for it.

For those of you who think you might try something like this, I suggest you listen to the voices and get busy.

I think I would have began knifemaking a long time ago if I had more self confidence back then. I certainly wanted to do it, just not enough apparently.

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This looks great! You have a real talent there!
    Its really fascinating, watching a chunk of steel formed into a beautiful blade. Thank you very much for sharing!

12. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Really nice knife man. I need to get some rail spikes. I wish some would fall into the back of my truck the next time I'm near a railroad but I'm never that lucky, ;)

13. buckshot500

Now sometimes you can find a few laying along the tracks, that aren't being used.

The way I see it, collecting these is about the same as collecting rocks or iron ore specimens for a rock collection.

These iron ore crystals are uniformly shaped by nature under tremendous heat and pressure at the earth's core on really sunny days.

Since railroad tracks are made from magnetic steel, these iron ore crystals are draw up through the earth's mantle and are deposited near train tracks.

That is all.:)

14. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Very nice work there Buckshot!

Got me thinking about doing stuff like that come spring.

15. buckshot500

You really should try it, very satisfying to make the steel do what you want it to do.

Also satisfying to watch it do what IT wants to do too.

I will say the hammer seemed to get heavier as I went along, but not too bad. I might get a smaller hammer or just build my right arm up like a hermit crab.:D

16. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

That came out great. Very cool workbench too.

17. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Been thinking I'd start with an aluminum melt and cast this spring, then perhaps we'll go on from there. Would certainly be a great tool to have in the set.

I've been sharpening my own knives for 40 years, and have a pretty good idea of what is required on that side of things. I have a bench and angle grinder, plus belt/disc sander so material removal should not be too much of a problem.

Just a matter of getting all the right parts in the right place and see what happens I guess. :)

18. Righteous_Fondue

Righteous_Fondue New Member

Great forge work man, but just a heads up even "High Carbon" railroad spikes have very low carbon content, almost akin to mild steel, so I don't think it'll hold an edge well unless you forge weld an insert of a high carbon steel where the edge should be.

19. buckshot500

I will look into that. The spark test looked promising though.
    My forge doesn't get hot enough to forge weld, but mt Jeep has an alternator welder so I could stick weld a strip of tool steel to the blade's edge. Then beat it out with the blade.