Smooth pouch release

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JimRhodo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

The pouches I use at the moment are prefabricated with smooth leather on the ammo side and a suede finish on the finger side. I'm aiming for a smooth release but the pouch catches on the dry skin/ calluses on my thumb so I can have a smooth release but it is unpredictable.

Can I use a lubricant which won't damage the tubes or be so slippy I can't grip the ammo?
    Or should I be looking at a smoother textured pouch?

2. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I know some guitar players that have applied thin layers of CA (superglue) on their fingertips. Using old breadsack material so a little drop spreads really far.

You could do that and then sand your fingertips down to 100 grit or 400 idk.

Just a goofy idea--theres some evidence the stuff isn't so healthy... You didn't really need those fingers for anything else other than slingshooting, right?

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Is it possible to reverse the installation of the pouch? If not, you could try rubbing some talc into the leather. Bill Herriman has a video about pouch care on Youtube. He goes by Slingshot Bill there. The video titled "using the single pocket slingshot pouch" has some info that may help.

4. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Saw the video (I have to love cut and paste) and he mentions lubricant separate to talc. I'll try the talc first and will just have to smell of lavender.

I thought of reversing the pouch but the knots are so well done I would be reluctant to unpick them. Talc first. Thanks for the swift replies.

5. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

How about a light wax coat? Perhaps that would allow you to have a cleaner release. I know I have the same problem with crusty, hard hands not providing the precise release.

7. dinobuddy

dinobuddy Senior Member

Gold bond powder, maybe? It's a little less on the lavender side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Wouldnt just some leather conditioner work? A light coat of Dubbin would flatten down the grain and once dry shouldn't make it slippery at all.

9. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Transformed

Found the talc (yes I smell of lavender) and sanded the callus on my thumb with some p600. Let the photo tell the rest.

Thanks for all the help chaps. Best result I've had!

Attached Files: