Smaug's Toothpick

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Jan 21, 2014.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Today's my reserve preparation day for the team from the Discovery Channel... they will show up tomorrow for the Anti Smaug filming.

Had nothing much to do, so I decided to make a slingshot, what else :)

Turned a handle from my still plentifull supply of now bone dry cornus sanguinea (european dogwood), then made a frame from 12mm stainless steel...

One side is a very narrow fork, the other side a truly vicious spike. The hole thing is pinned with a 4,3mm steel pin, rock solid. It shoots well, and it is one heck of a stabbing weapon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It always amazes me how comfortable thick round handles are. And I love that Cornus wood. So dense and hard.

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Do we have any idea when they will be airing the footage?

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

That's badass! I like the narrow fork :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

4. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

That is just WICKED!

Only danger I see there is just after attempting a difficult pop bottle shot from 30 meters and your arms jerk down in the first step of the dance of joy to impale your own thigh. LOL

Put a CORK on that tip!

But truly a work of art.

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Looks great! Would be a perfect ice pick, chip off pieces of ice and fire them into Smaugs fiery throat!

6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's really cool. I could see that being used to plant the spike in a zombie head, then use the head as a base for a stable follow-up shot with the slingshot. This is both dangerous and delightful :p

Joerg - just in case we miss it, please be sure to let us know when that episode is up on YouTube!

8. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

Don't drop it or always wear steel toed shoes. Looking forward to Discovery footage. I have alerted my friends who also enjoy the site even though they depend on me for their slingshots. This has become a really fun retirement pastime JoergS , thanks!

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

It IS a good thing that this is pinned and not glued... the spike is so sharp that otherwise I'd have hurt myself on the polishing job at least a couple of times. :)

10. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I really like the look of the metal ones that you weld up. THis one is my new favorite though

11. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

I like it, but I couldn’t dare carry that one around. In the Police State of New York, that one would probably get you 1 1/3 to 3 for possessing it and 5 to 15 if you ever used it to poke somebody.

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

A nail with a handle would give you THAT much trouble?

Wow. What ever happened to that 2nd amendment that seems to work so well in other states?

13. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

The Patriot Act.

-Wild Bill

14. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Throwing citizens into prisons because they have an ice pick seems to be a VERY patriotic act indeed.

15. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Exactly.

-Wild Bill

16. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

That is one cool slingshot!

And it's hypoallergenic stainless steel so less chance of accidentally infecting non-zombies.

Really though, I may try to make one for myself like this.

Maybe a length of fuel hose to fit partly over the point while shooting or carrying?

There are a few states here that have ridiculous laws. I could never actually live in New York or New Jersey.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  17. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

veery nice weapon ! but you should make a sheath for it xD

regarding the patriot act, there is a great book about young people struggling against homeland security with the help of technology, by Cory Doctorow, http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/Little Brother. Amazing read. Also has a sequel called Homeland which i am currently reading. And the great thing is he offers all his books for free download.
    (A little help is also cool)
    Sry for the offtopic.