Slingshotcanon to shoot (nearly) everything

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Jelle, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Jelle

Jelle New Member

Hi
    I just had a thought:
    In a post-apocalyptic world it won't be easy to find pefectly round slingshot ammo or straight arrows.
    So wouldn't it be great to have a slingshot wich can shoot every kind of ammo? like big rocks, many small stones at once, wooden clubs, knives and just any big and heavy objekt?

Is it possible to modify Jörg's slingshotbazooka like this?

2. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

I think in a post apocalyptic world the real problem would be to find some thera band gold trees, they're pretty rare. Finding nice straight hazel brunches or round rocks should be pretty easy...
    Rubber powered weapons are in my opinion the absolute least suited for post apocalypse. It is much harder to make rubber (impossible under apo circumstances) than it is to make gun powder. Also rubber can only be stored some years and then it's dead. :)

3. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Very true. So lets enjoy the rubber while we can. Make more slingshots and X-bows......

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I disagree. Most of the world's 400+ tire manufacturers use natural rubber and tires will be EVERYWHERE. A simple heated vat (a 55 gallon drum with a fire under it will suffice) will heat the rubber without burning it and allow even a novice to reform the rubber. Basic rollers, either prefabricated or home-made, will allow the post-apocalyptic weaponsmith the ability to make a rough equivalent of Theraband black. Furthermore, this method will be FAR easier than it would be to make a grade of gunpowder that would be viable for modern firearms.

-Wild Bill

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Agree with Wild Bill. Also while you might be able to make black powder (if you have access to all the raw materials required, plus a ball mill) for as long as your rubber lasts its just a matter of ammo, which can be found all over the place.

Plus, there will be scrap rubber to be found for several years.

And eventually yes we will be either importing latex from down south or melting down tires.

Not to mention that making primers/caps is downright difficult and dangerous. And very few weapons are around that are flintlock/matchlock.

Anyone watch "Revolution"? They have a few modern weapons that are always short of ammo. Their backup is almost always an edged blade of some sort. Personally I'd lean towards a pair of light throwing tomahawks for flexibility. Handy for combat, camping, trapping, you name it.

6. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I like the idea of shooting anything available for ammo.

I fell in love with Joerg's blunderbuss design for this reason. It should be very possible to upscale it as big as you want. Having the bands on "speargun style" could eliminate the need for a winch, by having multiple bands/tubes and stretching one at a time like the compact crossbow.

7. Jelle

Jelle New Member

Could you post a Link of the blunderbuss?

It would be awesome to see Joerg shooting beerbottles, old cans, a nice cup of coffee, screwdrivers or just rocks out of one big slingshot.
    Just to see if those things are able to do damage.

I would love to see a turret mounted sligshotcannon wich can throw anything at the zombies.

@ alukuchen: even if you are able to make gunpowder, you need ammo, you can't shoot stones out of a gun. Also there are many other things you need to make ammo for a common gun.

8. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

@wild bill: that does not work.
    @jelle: of course I can. Load a shotgun with some small rocks and you're good to go (yes, it does work :D )

9. Jelle

Jelle New Member

But you have to modify that shotgun. I mean somehow you have to ignite the gunpowder.

But even if it is possible, I just don't like guns :)
    And rubber is also not my favourite energy source, I prefer this: http://www.marketender.de/Material-...-Waffen/Kernstaebe/Kernstab-10x12x1000mm.html
    to build heavy artillerie
    That kind of glasfiber doesn't have an expiration date :D

And I found the blunderbuss, thats the thing I'm talking about, even though it could be a lot bigger:) .

10. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

igniting the gunpowder by flint lock or match lock :)
    I'm looking foreward to your build! This glas fiber stuff looks good!

11. AtomikBanane

AtomikBanane A dangerous banana