Slingshot Vs Safety Glasses

Discussion in 'Impact studies' started by jnmbhj, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

I recently shot some safety glasses with some 5/16" steel balls and it barely Made a dent. Have anyone else tried to shoot safety Glasses? If so Post some pictures

Attached Files:

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

If you have safety glasses rated ANSI Z87.1 or Z87.1+, you should only be able to dent them. Ballistics tests on these glasses are often done with buckshot out of a shotgun and the glasses are designed to resist that type of impact. If your glasses break with a slingshot hit, you may have the wrong glasses, just FYI.

I've got some old scratched up pairs, I may have to take a shot or two at them and see what happens.

3. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

I have seen some of Joerg videos where he punches holes in very thick wood and he uses a huge ball. Won't that shatter the glasses?

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Again, it depends on the glasses. If they carry the proper rating, they are not supposed to shatter under most conditions that would potentially damage your eyes. The material is not designed to shatter, but rather deform. I work in the construction industry and eye injuries are a big issue for us. We can have all sorts of projectiles coming at us, and those glasses have to be able to stand up to some serious abuse. That's not to say they can't be broken, but it takes a lot to do it.

5. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

I have seen some videos where a .22 was shot at the glasses but didn't go through but it flexed so much that the glasses will cause serious damage to the eye. I believe a slingshot will do the same to safety glasses. Also a few years ago I shot a few field tipped arrows at it and it caused some big dents. Also is a Z87+ a good rating for safety glasses?

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

This might help you understand why it's critically important that your safety glasses are rated ANSI Z87.1 or ANSI Z87.1+

In each test, the ANSI rated pair is first, the non-rated pair is second. You can see that even with large, pointed projectiles, a properly rated pair should still protect your eyes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtazhqy0xs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtazhqy0xs[/ame]

The second video shows some tests done with pellets at very high velocities:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0K8sNheIXM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0K8sNheIXM[/ame]

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Z87+ is better than just Z87 - I use Z87+ for my pistol/rifle shooting glasses.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Withak is absolutely correct. Properly rated safety glasses are very nearly indestructible, as far as slingshots are concerned. I don't remember ever having broken a pair at work from an impact.

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Don't forget the master's research on the subject:

[ame]http://youtu.be/UrBpXPORRlo[/ame]

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Interesting videos Withak. I have a pair of safety glasses I was given on a job, not sure what they conform to but they are the ones recommended by the government so assume they are ok. I dont know enough about them to really comment but just get the best ones you can find, sight is quite important after all!

Oh, if you have never worn fogged up safety glasses, armoured wellingtons, a day-glo souwester and a hard hat whilst balanced on top of a 50 metre high bank of compacted rubbish in 30mph winds swinging some chicken tied to a piece of string while a falcon comes at you at 90mph....you haven't lived!

I don't do landfill pest control anymore but I kept the glasses! :)

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I don't know if the ANSI rating is strictly in the US or if you'll find that around the world. If it does have that rating, I should be stamped on the frame or usually, right on the side of the lens somewhere.

As for your landfill story, interesting enough, I was scheduled to do just that last week, but it conflicted with my Brazilian waxing appointment, and could not cancel on that again :rolleyes:

12. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yup, you can't miss that. Chafing is no joke.

Anyway, read the code off my Bolle safety glasses and put it into their website. The standards they meet are as follows:

• Frame - EN166 F CE
      BS EN 166 - Impact resistant
    • Clear Lens - 2-1.2 1F CE
      BS EN 166 - Optical quality 1 & impact resistant
      BS EN 170
      - Ultraviolet protection
    ANSI is American only, BS EN is European only apparently.

So it turns out my glasses aren't as good as the shotgun protection ones but pretty decent nontheless.

13. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Whats Brazilian waxing?

14. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Pain.

15. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

I think I know what it is but I don't want to say it. I hope its not what I think it is.

16. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Pain and lots of it in an area God only meant people to be nice to.

17. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Oh ok that was what I thought it was.... google
    I never knew withak was a female. Dang that must hurt.

18. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

lol...

yes EN 166 is an european standard for optics, the number is followed by a letter or t o( i think its F S B A T, A beeing the strongest withstanding 140m/s i think and T means hard/usable by higher temps) and then another number which stands for optical clarity or something, its googleable xD

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  19. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

What makes you think Withak is female? Can't a guy visit Brazil? ;)

20. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Scooby's right, can't a guy look good when he's on the beach wearing his bikini briefs?

As to my original post on the Brazilian, Google 'sarcasm'.