Slingshot powered grappling hook

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by epicsoundbox, Jan 26, 2014.

1. epicsoundbox

epicsoundbox New Member

It'd be super cool to make a functional slingshot powered grappling hook
    Like, shoot the hook using the band :D

2. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

Woodworkers are using Slingshots to shoot a weight up over a branch of tall trees, then pulling a thick rope up using the thin on which is connected to the weight and then climb the tree.
    So it is something similar out there, but shooting a hook with a rope connected to it?
    That would be cool! Maybe this could be a new project idea for Jörg^^

3. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

Ok, i accidentaly posted my answer three times, caused by my bad i-net conection on my smartphone ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  4. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

:D

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  5. epicsoundbox

epicsoundbox New Member

I was thinking it would be kinda like this:

Attached Files:

• lil.png
      lil.png
      File size:
      8.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Jack739

Jack739 Gun-'Slinger'

Thought about something like that too! Wouldn't it be more effective, if you make a hook on a bolt and shoot it from a crossbow? A hook and the rope can be very Heavy, i dont think You could shoot it accurate and far enough from a slingshot, what do you think??

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I used to work at an outdoor activity centre (they had a bird of prey centre there) and they had an assault course 30ft up across the treetops. They used normal climbing rope most of the time but they had this very thin (3mm) rope that could support 200kg according to the manufacturer. Some of that would be perfect for this application.

8. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Amsteel maybe ? I plan on making a grappling ball. Steel ball wrapped with paracord (monkey fist/turks head) and one long running end. Shoot it over a branch and boom.

9. zurk021414

zurk021414 New Member

Bowfishing reels would be a good way to feed line to a grappling hook. I've seen where there are several very nice DIY ones on youtube and elsewhere.

10. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Sounds like VB cord or 'Hootchie' cord. Australian Army use that instead of Paracord. Bloody strong and doesn't stretch as much as paracord. It would be perfect for a grappling hook idea