Slingshot lingo

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by AngelicScars, Sep 14, 2013.

1. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

There has to be lingo for just about everything (all the way down to cloth diapers!). Anyway, I'm getting lost at times reading the abbreviations and lingo for the slingshots. Can anyone break down the basic/most commonly used abbreviations and words and give a short description/definition? I think it would help other beginners as well. :D

2. FilipNilssob

FilipNilssob Lactose is my Kryptonite

TGB = theraband gold. TBB = theraband black. PFS = picklefork shooter = a slingshot with a tiny fork. That's all i know, but i hope it helped :)

3. AngelicScars

That's definitely a start, and thank you! :D

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm still new to this, but I'm learning along the way too. Here are a few more items to add:

Regarding shooting styles:

TTF - Through the Fork (sideways or 'gangster' style)
    OTT - Over the Top (traditional)

You'll also see people talking about various grips such as 'hammer' grip. Basically picture yourself holding a hammer as you're about to hit a nail - and you've got hammer grip. There are a variety of other grip styles, such as the one I prefer using my thumb up on the fork to brace the slingshot. This grip sometimes incorporates a 'finger hook' around the other fork.

I know some of the folks on this forum are also members at another forum site. There is a long list of slingshot glossary items you can find here:

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/11772-slingshot-glossary-and-slang/

I'm a member at that site as well, and it's got some useful info, but I can say my experience has been that the folks here have been more friendly and helpful. I just enjoy my time more on Joerg's forum.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

concerning shooting styles theres also sideway or the hated "gangsta" which are really just target pinch grip, holding sideways to use top fork as aim point. tt is theratube, which comes in many colors. catty is a mainly uk reference to catapult which is what some call it as slingshot refers to a rock sling. butterfly is when your ammo hand is extended back behind you floating in the air with no definite anchor point. BV is brazil viking, a very helpful friend to many on the forum. ZGB refers to two morons who will get themselves eaten if they practice what they preach. it's kinda early out in cally so my brain struggles to come up with more.

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

rotfl! :)

+1 on BV

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

OK, rts-return to shooter(very bad). "tweak" is Mr. Arturo's way of shooting pfs(look into this).

8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

PFS - pickel fork shooter that little ott slingshot that Arturo uses frequently
    ss - slingshot
    Hammer - wide low forked slingshot
    Chalice - high forked, obvious shape
    Pouch - leathe bag of the slingshot
    Theonethatshlnotbenamed - wanimator
    ..... Feel free to ask anything!

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I almost mentioned theonewhoshallnotbenamed as a reference to the ultimate ZGB fanboy! Great minds think alike;)!

10. AngelicScars

I caught on to that rather quickly. Not be be foul mouthed, but the dick measuring here has had me giggling. Not much different from the female dramas I do everything to avoid. ;)

I do enjoy this board though, lots a great, friendly, and helpful people!

11. NickF

NickF New Member

Great thread, must bookmark for future use :D

12. AngelicScars

PM received and replied. ;)

13. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I'm glad you dig dude-ish humor! we'll get along just fine! Its a good "yard stick" to "measure" ones personality with;).

14. AngelicScars

Haha! Nice.
    I've been told by several guys I stand out as a female.

15. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Fps

M´sorry, all of you missed to tell newbies like me what the FPS is:

The FPS is a Fickle-Porce-Sshooter! how to build that:

Take a PFS, some bottles of wine an a telephone!

Drink the wine, shoot some 20mm steel balls (or e.g. 14mm lead)
    right on your thumb and (then) bloody fingers!

Call the doctor!

(Have not built one, and I´m not going to ;) - )

16. Cubanizm

Cubanizm Junior Member

LOL, "D" measuring? Really? if that's the case, please know that when we recommend or offer BLO to one another, we do mean BOIL LINSEED OIL...

17. LW

LW New Member

...sorry if I have to correct you, but OTT and TTF describes the binding of the rubber on the fork.

OTT the rubber is usually mounted horizontally/ over the fork tips and will fly after shooting over the forks.

TTF, the rubber is usually attached perpendicular to the fork, and the pouch and rubber are in most cases not fly (with full power) through the fork. Great advantage to avoid nasty Handslaps.

18. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

I will add the "release" not acronym is just when you let the ammo go (not the final stage of the shoot) but is one of the most difficult aspect to polish (responsible of accuracy or an OUCH!!), it requires a lot of practice to get it smooth and consistent ...