Slingshot from a solid iron spike

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by mvd, Jun 19, 2013.

1. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I found this nice wall spike which was originally a hinge for a window shutter.

I really want to make a slingshot out of it by attaching a fork to the front 'bolt', but it seems I can't find A) the right fork; and B) the right attachment for said fork.

I don't have access to welding equipment and anything that goes over a power drill.

If anyone could think of anything to help me?

Attached Files:

2. When you want to built a slingshot as you hold it in picture 2 you will have a massive Problem! :eek:

You have a slingshot with arm rest! :eek:

Forbidden in Germany! :eek:

On the bolt you can make a threat for a hexnut!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013

3. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Thank you, I had concerns myself about that being an arm rest, but it does not support my grip in any way, i tilted my hand for the photo to show how it fits my hand (the odd thing is that its sits very comfortable in my handy though its just a pyramidal metal spike).

Just testet it, put some leftover textile strap over the front part and pulled as hard as I can, does not even touch my wrist when hold properly in the hammergrip (otherwise the ball would hit my hand, if it would already be a fuctional slingshot). Thought of the back part as a protection for the back of my hand, like of one of Jörgs Slingshots, the one with the wooden shield in front of the grip and that little 'tail' going over the back of the hand.

How should I make a thread on that solid metal?

4. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Well, first things to pop into my little brain were:

You could spin it around so the " brace" becomes a hand slap guard. Depending on the metal, it could be bent down more to act as a guard.

For fork attachment you could drill a hole in the top, tap it ( a tap is for cutting threads in a hole) and bend some forks from flat bar steel, with a hole in the middle, and bolt the fork to the handle. Or, if you don't want to get a Tap, drill a hole and epoxy a threaded stud into the hole and bolt the fork on.
    Two piece wood scales, bolted on for the grip.

5. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Never thought about turning it around...I feel kind of stupid know....

It is really sturdy Iron (I think) have to look if it can be drilled (straight) without a bench drill (which I don't have), but thank you for your idea I think thats the way to go

6. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

HEY, MVD, DO YOU HAVE SOME TOOLS (HAND) TO WORK WITH WOOD? tHE SHAPE OF THE SPIKE GIVES ME THE IDEA OF SOMETHING.
    ABOUT THE ARM REST...WE CAN TUR IT INTO A HAND TEST, NOT ILEGAL...
    WHAT ARE THE LENGTH/WIDTH OF THAT SPIKE?

7. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

I followed berts advice and turned it around and bendet it to an handguard. It could now also be used as a mean knuckle duster :rolleyes:.

The whole thing ist 15,5 cm long, the spike itself aka the grip is 12,5 cm long, 1,9 cm wide and 1,4 cm deep getting pyramidal to its tip (photos are for getting the right number to the right side, dont trust the meter, i tilted the camera :eek:). I would like to preserve the tip of the spike in the final handle. To the woodworking tools, I have one rasp, but I am afraid to look at it, it might turn to reddish rusty dust and two metal saws with their first blades, one worse tha the other....not the best equipment someone would want.

I might go to the metalworks in my neighborhood (I know the boss) and ask if he can drill a hole fitting for a piece of threaded rod.

Attached Files:

8. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Could be some kind of OTT-flipstyle-shooter:)

9. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Could be, but the longer it lays before me on my desk, i wish to attach a long narrow blade to it, thus making it a rapier (i think).

Like this (ignore the non-existing skills in the alteration of pictures)

EDIT: Back to reality, there is no way a Blade could be attached to this hunk of metal (although it would be nice)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  10. Brazilviking

Blueprint! (scrap...)
    see if it makes sense...
    distance between forks 12 cm, 3 cm height
    the grip can be made in two pieces glued together around the spike, keeping the tip. You can change the shape as well.

Attached Files:

11. Brazilviking

but I definitely would keep the trigger-like shape for the index finger. looks nasty as a knuckle guard

12. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Okay, had to test it.......the OTT-flipstyle idea died, sorry, not in a long amount of time and IF someday then not with this....I'm just to unexperience I think.

Terrakotta Marbels are my all-time-high test ammo (reasonable light and visible and somewhat hard to break). I'm perfectly sure that it was my fault (and a bit the constuction I think) but the hit on the hard metal was too much and it sent three shrapnell in random directions.

EDIT: Well thats a nice sketch. I see what i can do in the matter of scrap wood lying around and so on, thank you very much Raul.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  13. Brazilviking

I just loved thi piece of iron. Think I'll make a visit to a scrapyard someday.

14. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

That's a good idea too Raul!
    If it's cast iron, it can be tricky to weld, but it would be cool to hand hammer some forks and forge weld a rivet to hold them on to the base. Would be a real nice medieval look. Maybe once the threaded rod is in, you can find a bronze cap nut to hold the fork on. And yeah, keep the spike out the bottom.

15. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Yea the medival look is very good, I don't think I will brush it further. I really hope that I can bring the same look to the fork.