slingshot for tree entry

Discussion in 'Crazy contraptions' started by pedalship, Sep 6, 2013.

1. pedalship

pedalship New Member

I climb trees in northern California and out here, we have some tall trees. Traditionally, climbers have used crossbows and bows to launch smaller shot lines (or sometimes fishing line) over a branch so we can climb it.

a few years ago, some wise person made what is now a common tool, the Bigshot. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=285&item=455

THis is a pretty effective tool, but, even broken down, it's 4ft long and weighs a few pounds.

I have been strapping open face fishing reels to crossbows for years and recently decided to outfit a crosman, wrist braced with an big old saltwater reel and it's ok.

I was wondering if anyone here might have ideas that might help, or even better yet, some experience in the matter.

the goal is to create/modify something that can send a projectile and very small line 100ft. vertically and still be small and light enough to carry on a hike with a whole MESS of other gear.

I'm new to the forum and can't post pictures, but i have pictures of my current rig. It is simply a slingshot with a reel on it.

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hello and welcome! Hope I can help a fellow Californian, but first I have to know what projectile you are using to carry the line up with. An arrow?

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

My suggestion is visualised in that picture,
    hope that helps

Attached Files:

4. pedalship

pedalship New Member

projectile

At first, I planned on using an arrow. I machined a little arrow rest and fitted it between the forks. it has its merits. Although slightly more cumbersome than lead fishing weights, it's quite a bit safer due to some bowfishing gear i found and should fly deeper and truer. I put blunt tips on some discount arrows I got at a sport store and plugged the nock end with a blunt piece of hardware to provide grip on the draw.

The arrow is not nearly as compact as a lead, cannonball fishing weight. Also, it might be difficult to explain what i'm doing hiking around with an arrow while hunting season is closed.

I have a few sizes: .5 oz, .75 oz, and 1oz. So far, I've only tested the .5oz, but it works well enough. I'm pulling 65# braided fishing line and it causes quite a bit of drag and i might need to use a heavier weight.

I;m open to any suggestions in regards to projectile. I'm open to any suggestions. I appreciate your interest.

I should mention that I replaced the bands on my ss with Thera tube black and built the pouch a little bigger than i needed and rigged it for use with a bow release trigger...

5. BeMahoney

Projectile

What abaout some "groundlead"?

Attached Files:

• th.jpeg
      th.jpeg
      File size:
      3.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Ok, I have a few suggestions to offer. BeMahoney's idea of the conical line winder may help with the drag that the line will create. Great drawing too!
    I would go back to the arrow idea, but get rid of the pouch on the slingshot and use a piece of cord to nock the arrow on. The arrow should fly better with line attached than a fishing lead. And you make a good point about the arrow being suspicious. I would remove the field tip and glue a small fishing weight or a small steel ball bearing in its place. This will act as a big safety feature (an arrow the suddenly falls from a tree could cause some nasty injuries), eliminate any risk of sticking the point in the tree, and silence any objections from the Dept of Fish and Game.
    Might also try a closed-face spinning reel as opposed to the open face as well. On the closed face, the line is not running across the guide and bail and will provide less drag.
    The arrow is the best bet, in my opinion. If you can find some really light ones (carbon fiber, etc), you may be surprised by the distance you can achieve and it will make the whole rig even lighter

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  7. BeMahoney

What about s.th like that:

http://interforst.at/products/29601-wurfbeutelschleuder-big-shot.aspx

thats what they use here..

The line is stuffed into the then shot bag...

Wurfbeutelschleuder

Mit dieser Schleuder werden Wurfbeutel bis max. 40 m Höhe in
    Baumkronen geschleudert, um anschließend Aufstiegs-seile hochziehen zu können.
    Das Gestänge ist höhenverstellbar und kann dadurch dem Gelände sowie
    verschiedenen Personengrößen angepasst werden.

--- max. 40 Meters heigth.
    bags shot up there to then be able to pull up the climbing ropes
    Telescope pole, adjustable to terrain/ shooter..----

8. BeMahoney

What if that arrow gets stuck /poked into a branch?

9. pedalship

pedalship New Member

arrows

I use bird tips to blunt the arrow. they are like cane tips made to fit arrows. I have experimented with firing arrows in the past and opted for the pouch to keep the platform versatile. If I switch to a string, I can't shoot balls...

In my experience, open reels offer smoother feed. The cone is an idea i tried in the past and while it spools off well, winding it is not peasant (or quick).

The trick is in launching something heavy enough to make it back to the ground with a line attached and still be able to make the 100ft mark without having to spend a LOT more time in the gym...

I may give a sling crossbow a try as it would give me a power advantage and i could keep the build fairly minimal.

I was hoping someone would get on and already have the dream setup. Looks like it's up to us to be the research and development here...

Thank you all for your input and ideas.

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

You are on the right path, and I really think that weighting the arrow tips a bit (experimentation needed) will provide the results you are looking for. Best of luck

11. pedalship

pedalship New Member

@ Be, I could not open your link. was it for a product called the bigshot, a slingshot on a pole? We use those, but they don't hike very well and many of the trees i climb are quite remote and I have to carry quite a bit of gear (not to mention hundreds of feet of line) in very steep, brushy terrain.

Bigshots are really cool and I have both a commercial model and one of my own creation. I just want to make something more compact and every bit as powerful (maybe even more)...

12. BeMahoney

Attached Files:

• bs.jpeg
      bs.jpeg
      File size:
      11.7 KB
      Views:
  13. BeMahoney

K, understand!- so a crossbow seems to come with the most power/volume of "platform".

For shooting those bags with that, the cone seems to have to be mounted to a slingbow??

14. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Maybe a starship style slingshot will get you the drawlength and power you want, but stow away better than a long staff.

Check out Joerg's record setting video a few weeks ago to see what I mean by starship. Instead of boards you can make a more skeletal (even a folding ) one.

Do arrows come back to the ground well?
    I like Wills thoughts about modifying the business end for more mass and less Johnny law.