Slingshot Casting Success

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Alukuchen, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

Aluminium "Morhammer" home cast

I Cast a new slingshot out of aluminium and de spite the casting was a little rough I managed to get a really nice, smooth slingshot out of it! :D
    I'm happy now and will soon make some more :)
    Hope you like my video!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We5ulxM0BNg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We5ulxM0BNg[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice vid and awesome slingshot!

3. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

"rather nice"........greatest understatement I heard in a long time......its perfect, really really nice

4. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

really cool slingshot!

Veery nice,

you did a great job on that!

and refreshing shooting too,
    nice and obliging shooting sound!
    (and I like that music- what was that?)

I like that a lot!

5. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

o.k., I got those track titles :),

what I still would like to know if you passivated
    or sealed the surface somehow?

please let me know, for I always wonder if those
    slingshots will stain hands with that greyish patina (that I dont like!)

thanks in advance,

Be

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Great shooting and fantastic looking slingshot. You have an amazing talent.

7. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Very nicely done! It looks Great! On a side note I would be interested in how you built the machine that you used to cut the Styrofoam. Do you have a vid for that too?

8. Moin moin,
    ist doch richtig gut geworden......

9. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Wonderful results!

The styro cutting operation is brilliant, and looks quicker than making a wax one in a mold.
    Annodizing can be done at home, if you need another industrial art to master...:)

Exciting stuff.

10. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Hi Alukuchen,

It's simply excellent. Informative video, with great attitude. Just great :)

My ideas if you don't mind:

1#
    I know a company which one is develeoped a process called micro-casting. It's based on 3D print core (Zcorp mix, mainly plaster as far as I know) and then comes the casting. Same like yours, a lost material casting, but with a much more exact core, with less sanding on the late. Maybe a future project, but only a suggestion from the distance :eek:

2#
    At university I used a more dense foam for sculpting shapes. I don't remember the name and don't know if that is fine for this process, but if you interested I can ask my former colleagues.

3#
    One guy (here in Hungary) built a 3D cutter for foam. It's possible to cut the Styrofoam with a 3D cutter head, but not think of milling. It uses the same "heat wire" (dunno the English or German word for that, we call it cekasz).

4#
    With this method you can build a slingshot with under-turns or even limited shell designs. The Moorhammer is a nice design, but with your skills am sure you can make very unique and nice custom designs. You put so much effort, spending time, money.. why not coming up with a custom stuff :rolleyes:

Excuse me for this long comment. Hope you don't mind.

I think your work here is really important and deserves attention!

Bests, Tremo

11. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

that looks awesome. dont see a big diffrence between yours and the milbro´s.

12. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

hmm mine hast some little holes here and there that show up as little black dots. and it's not polised to mirror finish :D

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Great home casting project, and very nice results! The guys at Peter Hogan's place take great care to achieve a poreless result. The ceramic filter, the fine sand, the vortex method... they even sandblast the finished slingshots to detect small voids.

This does not mean that a few little pores are all that dramatic. It's just that at the price Peter asks, people can rightfully expect perfection. Which he delivers.

The styrofoam method requires that you make a slingshot from the foam first - the two-halves-mould method allows you to replicate a finished slingshot without destroying it in the process, a big advantage.

But anyway, I am impressed how well yours turned out! Seems to be a great shooter, too.

14. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

Thaks again Joerg!
    I guess with a cnc machine one would be able to make foam slingshots as fast as sand molds --> I'll be back in 4 years ^^
    No seriously, the reason why I used lost foam is that one needs few equipment and no molding sand. But maybe I'll try it one day.
    Yep the hogan's are perfect, it is amazing!
    by the way, how do they do it now that they do not longer have your original morhammer? I guess they sawed one of their own cast ones apart at the joint line for easier molding?

15. Cadman

Cadman New Member

It looks nice and looks to shoot nice. A quality good effort!
    Brian

16. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Great video and slingshot. It came out really nice.
    What kind of sand do you use? Looks the same as the one for mixing with concreet.

17. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Their method does not require sawing the original apart. They add some resin to the sand, put in the slingshot halfways and let the sand harden. Then they put the other half on top.

Just watch my video again!

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Very nicely done. For a home cast, I don't know if you can do much better without more expensive equipment and materials. Still a very nice piece of work.

19. Obelix

Obelix Delete

Thumb up Alukuchen 1+ for homemade alucasting slingshot. Great tutorial Video!