Slingshot Building Contest Idea

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Hey folks,

After reading Buckshot's 'Tater Masher' slingshot thread, it got me thinking about some of the creative ways I've seen people make slingshots from various things they can find around the house or at places like a dollar store.

I'd like to propose a contest where the rules will restrict you to building a slingshot only from things you can buy at your local dollar (or pound, or euro, or whatever basic form of currency) store in your area. I would picture the rules being fairly simple - basically that you can use and modify anything you can find in that store, and that's it. No additions of other materials such as metal, wood or plastic you have on hand. It all has to come from the dollar store.

We could allow folks a couple of weeks to build and post, then let the members vote on the best one based on ingenuity, style and finish.

What do you all think? If there is enough interest, I'd be willing to run the contest and I've got a prize I can put up for the winner.

Let's hear some feedback and see if this should be a go. I'd like to see at least 10 interested participants to make this happen.

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Love this, Im in!

MVD built a cool one for the 1hr challenge that could be made from stuff found in my local £1 shop. (Not that Im going to steal his idea!) so it can be done. :)

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Great - that's one!

4. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

That was synthetic floor tiles......

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

They have those in my £1 shop, three for a £1 :)

Would never have thought of using them for a slingshot though. I think the best bit of this contest will be the innovation and imagination of the idea and not necessarily the finished item.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  6. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Would a local thrift store also be acceptable? You never know what you'll find in those...

-Wild Bill

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I like the idea, but in the interest of really encouraging creativity and limiting options to the 'dollar' level, I would stick with the dollar stores for this contest. I think the thrift store could be a different contest in and of itself (and one I'd like to see) - there are just too many options potentially available in a thrift store that wouldn't likely be available in a dollar store. I think for this one, I'd rather see us stick with the dollar store to see how crafty and creative folks can get with such limitations.

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Is there a limit to how much you can spend in the store or just anything avaliable? Not that Im going to go and spend £100 but just wondering if we could combine two or more different items found there.

9. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

My hillbilly tech is strong. I would like to give this a try.

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I gave some thought to that already Scooby. I was considering a limit, but that may unnecessarily limit what could be built. I want to see how far someone could take it, so no, I don't think I would put a limit. The value of the prize I'm putting up would be around $30-$40usd, so if someone wants to spend $30 to try and win a $30 prize, that's up to them. As long as it all comes from the dollar store. Note that I would require only the frame/fork assembly to be dollar store items (that includes adhesives, screws, etc.) - pouches and bands could be whatever you have on hand, including TB, but bonus if you can find those at the dollar store too.

11. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Challenge accepted!

12. sonnyboy204

sonnyboy204 Target Misser

I am so in it's like I'm skinny jeans at a high school... which are "in" apparently. I don't know, I'm old. But, yeah I'm in.

13. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

I like this idea! I'll have a look in the dollar(euro :p) store and join :)

I like thrift shop idea too, i kind of know what they have in the thrift shops here and i already have some ideas for that too ^^

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

14. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I'm in like flint! Let's see if my ghetto tech is as good as my quick build skill.

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Looking good so far, I think this will likely be a go. I will give it the rest of the day today and will post the opening thread with the rules sometime this weekend. I think I'll give it about 2 weeks for folks to do their builds so they can get two weekends worth of time available during that open phase.

16. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

1 dollar is about 2,68 reais (brazilian money...is this acceptable?)
    Does that includes the rubber, pouch..etc etc?

the whole sling must cost 1 dollar? or the single parts?

17. Gniaffron

Gniaffron Junior Member

Too bad I haven't got any dollar (or euro) store around, just some low cost store would that be accepted?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

BV, he's saying you have to make it from stuff from a dollar store, which is an outlet where everything is a dollar. So you could go to a sharty discount store and that would probably do. Each piece you buy can't exceed a dollar but you can buy as many pieces as you want.

19. FilipNilssob

FilipNilssob Lactose is my Kryptonite

I'll be interested to try this! I'm in!