slingshot build with knife

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tilia, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

after some people where wondering how i carved my slingshots i made the promise to show it on video
    this is the first part of how i do it, this coast me 215 minutes to upload so i wont film it all, but i will show some clips along the build

first is getting the sweet chestnut fork in a more rougher shape

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cctgVE6nHDQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEnTZ0aNnVI[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice....this will take some time....

3. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

art takes time :)
    the beginning is always a bit slow because you need to be careful in the start, when you get started it goes easier and faster, still its pretty hard wood
    but i think its faster than a rasp... not sure cause i never use rasps

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Nice work, thanks for the uploads :) I use a rasp more than a knife because Im not as accurate carving with a knive but they both take ages! Your results are well worth the time though :)

5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uV9JV2pUR0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlbwumJusV4[/ame]

6. ErstMalEinBaum

ErstMalEinBaum Demon Hunter

ten seconds into the third video and my mind screams in terror at the thought of that knife slicing into the stomach of such a good crafts- and huntsman :)
    Nonetheless this is great and I am looking forward to see the finished result. This is exciting to see, very good handling of that kukri (I believe thats the word for what you used in the first video?). Could you tell me what brand it is and how much it is? I am looking into something like that myself and really don't like machetes so this would be a great addition to my collection.

7. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

there are save ways to cut towards your self and that you cant slip
    but i know its looks scary,

the kukri is a nepalese one, i had a custom made here
    http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/
    theye are not expensive, shipping is often more expensive
    they are handmade, so there not perfect, but its one of the best around tools and i love working with one....although they could have been a little bit harder for my taste

8. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

9. ErstMalEinBaum

Yes I know and from time to time I do it myself but usually I try to cut away from me.

The website is blocked by our filter here but I will give it a look later.
    I fear it could be cost prohibitive to import one of these into Germany though, not even thinking of trouble with customs who will be like "Oh heavens, is that a blade? I have never seen one of these before and even though they are perfectly legal I shall seize this immediately" :)
    I remember how I had to answer to customs when I ordered a peregrine glove (keyboard substitue glove) which turned into an hour-long talk about what I wanted to do with it

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work Tilia. You've made me rethink my process with some forks. I may have to get the hatchet and knife out and try a nice beefy fork to see what I find in there. One thing that's nice about using the knife is you can be quiet when you're shaping the fork, and since my only build time is usually when my wife and daughter are still asleep, keeping quiet is a bonus.

11. ErstMalEinBaum

Yes I usually pass up on forks this big, I didn't know they were usable for a slingshot build

12. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i bet they are but this is the tool i can do alot with, my mindset is that i must do everything with the view tools i carry in the woods, so saw, axe/hawk/kukri,
    knife, and leatherman carge tti, sometimes a challenge but if youre used to them you can to mostly everything you need on the trail

i know what you mean... its sad that people are made so afraid that they don't see tools but only weapons.... but then again it says nothing about me but allot about them....

thanks,... i do love silence :)

the bigger it is the more room you have to play with and to shape it the way you want it

13. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

hey tilia
    are you from the netherlands?
    you got that accent

Enes

14. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

yes,...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfMXjqSvLRM[/ame]

and remember,.... if it aint Dutch, it aint much:D

15. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

and I also know it because you said:"Houd je bek"to your dog:)

BTW:houd je bek means:"shut up"for those who don't speak Dutch:)

Enes

16. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

or maybe the big dutch flag on my sleeve in my avatar should be a clue

anyway this project is stopped on the second day of the build, after boiling the wood it had major cracks
    sweetchestnut is just not my wood, beautiful as it may bee, it cracks to quick for me, 6 forks, 3 slings...1 out of 2...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

edit... double post :eek:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  18. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

or maybe the big dutch flag on my sleeve in my avatar should be a clue

oops sorry didn't see that

Enes

19. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

May be a silly question but why do you boil the wood and what is 'Salina Zout'? Salt?

20. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

srry didnt see your post till now

zout-salina is salt
    boiling in salt water kills all bacteria and fungi in the wood, pulls out the tannin in the wood (this can also darken the wood) and helps to dry the wood with minimum of cracking...at least with most wood, sweet chestnut seems to react bad to this way