Slingshot build diary (how not to make one)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Blacknight, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Blacknight

Blacknight New Member

Hello hello, everyone.
    So in my introduction thread, I mentioned that I had a piece of Yew board, that I had seasoning (forgotten about) in my garden. It looked like it could make quite a nice slingshot in some capable hands; how hard can it be I thought.
    Now, my first confession, I've never made anything from wood before. I really didn't pay attention in school when it came to woodworking, I found it quite boring. I now very much regret that decision.
    I also don't own anything that can really be considered tools, so this is more of a "I don't know what the hell I am doing, watch me fail miserably" rather than a build diary.

So this morning, feeling rather chipper about the whole thing, I started. I didn't use a template (no printer:rolleyes:) but sketching a rough sling shape onto the wood was quite easy, and it looked right, all good so far.

Confession the second. I had no camera this morning, so I had to wait until after lunch for pictures, so sorry no images of me drawing on wood.

So here is the sum total of my first five hours of sawing.
    [​IMG]

Yeah I know, nothing but a junior hacksaw:rolleyes: I have no idea really.
    So cut cut cut, everything is going slow but okay. I'm having fun and the sun is shining. Until disaster strikes!
    [​IMG]
    Confession the third. I bought that hacksaw about a years ago, and left it in the shed, so the surface of the blade was slightly rusty, and probably blunt. Of course I didn't buy any more blades, and it's a sunday, so I can't get anymore until tomorrow.:rolleyes:

So, things I have learned.
    I am much worse at woodworking than I could have possibly imagined.
    I'm not very good at planning ahead.
    I shouldn't start a project on a Sunday, without first stocking up on spares of the tools I plan to use.
    So all in all, I wasted 6 hours on something that would have taken ten minutes with a jigsaw and some foresight.

Cheers guys! I hope someone gets a chuckle out of my stupidity!:D

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This looks like it ended up being an endurance battle! Blacknight, valiantly hacking through an iron-hard plank, against overwhelming odds, bit by bit...!
    Sorry it didn't go well, however it is good that you've learned about wood working...
    Rearm yourself with a jigsaw and a selection of blades and life will be much easier!

3. You should vultivate Our tools.

You should it not exposure humidity.

A little bit of oil is most successfull that it dosn' rust?

Sawblades always have to be relax!

So would be the blades longer stay and hold!

You should have a saw where you can tight the sawblade!

Yew is strong and tough!

It is a very good bow wood!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
  4. Blacknight

Blacknight New Member

Endurance Battle indeed, my hands are still cramped and aching. It is rather addictive though, I was genuinely annoyed that I broke the blade, but tomorrow is another day. Hopefully a jigsaw will present it's self at a reasonable price.:D
    Hey thanks Joe, I will keep the blade well oiled in future. I must admit that right before it broke, I went at it with gusto, I just wanted to finish, but ended up making it worse.
    My god you are right about yew, my experience is very limited, but the difference between it and pine to cut is Night and Day.
    Thanks for the encouraging words guys!

5. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hi Blacknight,
    First thing i made out of wood was a slingshot(about 1 year ago) as far as i remember. My first slingshots were aweful, believe me!
    The blade you used to cut that board is made to cut metal not wood. No good!!!
    If you don' t have a printer, just put the template you want to reproduce on your computer screen at the size you need, tape a papper on the screen then draw your template. Even if i have access to a printer i use that method to save my ink.
    Learning from your mistakes is the best way to learn imo. I learn a lot and i am still learning( still making mistakes);) and i think i am not the only one.
    Hope you will get some decent tools soon and hope we will see that slingshot finished soon too.
    Cheers, Red.

6. Blacknight,

i have a question.

Why is the name of your Slingshot Priest?

Did it pray before or when you shoot? :D

Joe

7. Blacknight

Blacknight New Member

It's funny that you mention the hacksaw blade, when I bought that saw, I used it on a metal brush handle, and it cut through it like butter. I honestly thought that I had blunted the blade on the metal, no wonder it took forever to cut.
    I love that idea of drawing a template off of a screen, I don't think I have an old CRT though, I wouldn't like to do it on my laptop screen.
    Huh, sorry mate you've lost me, I haven't named my slingshot? It's Dannytsg who's making that natural fork. I don't have anywhere near that level of skill.:p

8. Traveler

Traveler Junior Member

Thank you for the hindsight, perhaps I can learn from you and use it as foresight when I start to create!
    Best to you

9. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I think you exchanged him for the dannytsg guy...

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

:DWell, mistakes are always great for learning, usually better than a lesso from a teacher or a book.
    You can see from the bright side.......at last it's a slingshot an woodworking......... It would be worse if you were attempting to make a surgery!!

11. Sorry Blacknight

Please sorry me!

Joe

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I do it on my Mom' s laptop too
    [​IMG]
    You don' t need to push on the pencil to get the drawing on the papper.

13. tokSick,

Why don't you cut it out of the screen?
    You would have a multilayer slingshot :D

Joe

14. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I never tought about that ;)
    I generaly shoot at the broken computers.
    Laminated computer screen slingshot... sound cool tho!!!

15. Blacknight

Blacknight New Member

I forgive you, it's always nice to be confused with some with more skill, talent etc!:D
    Seeing that, I will definitely give it a go now, thanks!;)

16. tokSick,

could you tell me how i make these when i use a beamer?

The slingshot at the wall is now 60 cm high!

What did i make wrong? :cool:

Joe

17. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

60 cm would be nice... for shooting an airplaine ;)

18. Blacknight

Blacknight New Member

Okay, so a quick update on day two. I went to the hardware store today and bought some goodies.
    First though, I must apologise for the terrible image quality, I've had to lend my camera out again, so had to use my laptops webcam.
    [​IMG]
    First a coping saw, I found with the hacksaw it was very difficult to follow a curved line, I'm hoping that the narrower blade of the coping saw will follow the curves better!
    [​IMG]
    I also picked up a pack of replacement blades, and a rasp with a spare blade (no photograph).
    So I'm going back out now to continue working, hopefully I should have an update this evening of my progress.
    Wish me luck!
    Cheers guys.

19. Great saw!

Let's go on work!

Joe

20. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Now you're on the right path! You watch, that coping saw is going to revolutionize your building!