Slingshot Boy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Dec 25, 2013.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Hey, It's Christmas.

Two years ago, when Tommy was the ripe age of ten, he did something extremely stupid. He's been paying for it ever since. And when Weaponator came about, we all (me included) flung PM's about trying to catch the little twerp in his mistakes. Yeah, we've been speculating as to whether he got a stand in for his videos just to make sure his chubby wrist doesn't get spotted again.

This kid could use the mentorship that is available at this forum, and this is the season of love, giving and forgiveness. Yes, what he did was inexcusable, but aren't we better men than this? Can we not first teach a child a lesson (and we have) and then help to grow him as a man instead of shunning him like a bunch of Amish?

I'm proposing that we let the SSB back to this forum. Yes, I know that he has done very foolish and hurtful things- especially to Joerg, but can we not be to him the kind of men we strive to be towards everyone else? This kid needs us, and after two years I think it's time we let him prove to us that he's learned his lesson and thus learned his place. I believe that such a gesture would show to him- and to many others- the kind of character of fellowship that we strive so hard to maintain.

-Wild Bill

2. I have heard of him but I have never really learned what he did?
    So I really have no idea whether it would be a good idea to let him back :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

3. WildBill

He stole photos of Joerg's Moorhammer and claimed that he designed it. Yes, it's inexcusable, but as I said, this was done by a ten-year-old (at the time) who obviously doesn't have much paternal parenting. Besides, when you look at his work and videos it's clear that he couldn't, at this point in his learning, design siht. And for a Junge his age, two years is equal for eternity- so perhaps we can re-think the shunning. If he hasn't learned anything from this, then he'll likely be gone in four more years anyway, since there is no internet access in prison which will be his next stop if his ways don't change.

-Wild Bill

4. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Let it make the short way. NO

5. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

I have no problem as much as he can "behave" without trolling, lying or stealing ... when he was 22lr went mad with rape, crime, street gangs and jail stories, other time challenged torsten defiantly rude ... I am convinced he needs first psychologic help as far I understand he is not really interested in the hobby ...
    cheers

6. WildBill

I know, it's a tough call. But where does the witch hunt stop? It's almost like this fellowship is so on guard for him that anyone else- who might not be him but be just new to the skills and also very young- could get creamed. I do agree that Tommy needs help- I conversed with him in the past and there are some problems upstairs, but to me, the real question is- do we really care? Pause for a minute and look at the question as I asked it- do we really care?

-Wild Bill

7. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Are you able to stop the witch again. Without calling for help from Jörg again? I don't think so. At this time it's quite here. So don't call the ghost's again.

8. I'm all for forgive and forget but he was given several chances, each of his returns has heralded worse behavior than the ones before, I say if he returns under a new name with new behavior then so be it. Really not much to do in such a situation, save maybe tell him kudos on growing up. But I have tried to talk to him in the past as well as MANY members of this forum and the youngster just won't listen :( There's my two pennies if they're worth anything.

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

It takes a whole village to raise a child.

And listening as well as making sure to
    determine what is the MEANING of the words
    is way more important- and difficult than
    merely just saying what we have on our mind..

Be

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

This forum has just one rule. I do not think I enforce it with a very heavy hand. But I am of the decisive kind and do not usually waver. A ban is a ban.

The user "Weaponator" did not break our only rule and I can see no obvious connection to a banned member either, so at this point he is welcome here. Should that change I won't hesitate to act.

11. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Your math there confuses me he was 10 two years ago = 12 likely be gone in 4 more years anyway = 16 he needs to be 18 to go to jail right?
    More to the point, I agree with your sentiment, Bill. Two years is an extremely long time for someone his age, approximately 16%-20% of his life in fact.
    And although I was not a member of the forum at the time I believe I have a pretty clear understanding of the incident. Or rather incidentS as he has come back more than once using other usernames.
    Technically slingshotboy didn't do anything illegal, since the moorhammer design isn't copyrighted (at least I don't think it is, is it?)
    The way I look at it slingshotboy got lucky. He could have gotten off much worse had Joerg copyrighted the moorhammer. I don't think Joerg would sue a 10yr old but still had he copyrighted the design he would have had a right to.
    That said the only real thing that slingshotboy did wrong was lie, and everyone lies sometimes. I think he should be given a chance at redemption (if he even WANTS to come back) as long as weaponator doesn't break the rule I say he should be able to stay
    Anyway, that's my opinion take it or leave it 'cause it's free!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  12. dolomite

dolomite Banned

if Joerg were to let him back then fairness says that theonewhoshallnotbenamed and spooky would have to come back first because they both were only banned once. No one needs this, he's not changed yet and I kinda doubt he will very soon. I dig your ability to forgive and forget but I'm wholeheartedly against any of the above returning.

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I understand and appreciate the sentiment expressed by Bill. I've watched some troubled kids go without proper parenting and without a good support system and seen what came of that. I don't know the SSB. I know only what I've learned about him around here. I know that he's been banned not only from this forum but from the 'other' forum as well. Feelings for the things he's done in the past run very deep. Many people have been hurt or offended by what he's done. Most of what happened with him happened before I became a member of this forum, much like the onewhoshallnotbenamed. I experienced only the tail end of their antics.

I think many find themselves in a somewhat difficult position and have to ask a difficult question. Is it our job to help raise and mentor every child out there? There is no hard and fast answer. It reminds me of the story of the young boy on the beach throwing back starfish stuck on the sandy shore who is approached by an adult who points out the futility of the boy's actions. The boy's response is an important lesson, acknowledging he cannot save all of them, he states, as he throws another one back into the ocean, that at least he saved that one. The moral of the story being that not all can or will be saved by the intercession of others, but there is a noble act in trying to save some.

Would giving the SSB another chance 'save' him in a sense? It's hard to say. He's already been given numerous chances, on more than one forum. Yet he appears, at this point, still to not have learned his lesson. It's probably important to remember that one lesson that needs to be understood is that there are consequences for our actions. At some point, the second, third, fourth chances eventually run out. Are the people here the ones to mentor him? Those lessons could be evident by simply watching the actions of members toward one another. Kindness and generosity has been demonstrated by many here. And that is a lesson that's hard to miss.

I watched a recent video by the SSB on his YT channel. In it he featured a video of a PFS he received from DGUI - the original PFS man himself. DGUI even took the time to comment on that video. I did find it interesting considering SSB's past transgressions on both forums that someone like DGUI would choose to interact with him, going so far as to send him one of his original PFS. Maybe there is something to be said for trying to be encouraging to this seemingly very troubled young man.

Well, I can't answer on behalf of the forum. I've written a long comment here not to try and convince others to give another chance, only to get my thoughts out there for consideration. As for me, I find myself to be a rather forgiving person, someone who perhaps gives people more chances than perhaps I should sometimes. I can be a bit of a softy that way. I like the idea of second chances. It might even be fair to say I love the idea of second chances. But the call must be made first by the forum owner/admin and then by the majority of members. My final thought is this - if it were decided to give him a second (third? fourth?) chance here, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. But if that did happen, I think it would be only fair that he would have to agree to perhaps a few more restrictions than the rest of us have here, considering his past violations - something like a probationary membership. Dolo makes a good point that also would need to be considered - if you welcome back one, do you then welcome back the others? Considering Joerg's "one rule", I find it is quite difficult to get banned here, you really have to push it to make that happen. At that point, a ban may just have to stay in effect.

14. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I feel like this is a stupid question, and I'm pretty sure I won't get an answer but I'm gonna ask anyway,
    Who is theonewhoshallnotbenamed? Was that like a really presumptive username or did he do something THAT bad?

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

His name is not often spoken here. But since you are not yet familiar with him, his username was Wanimator. The moniker by which he is now known was conferred upon him by the members here.

16. BeMahoney

What if?

What if this whole thread is pointless?

cause he´s gone forever? - If not: Jörg is o.k. with someone
    re-inventing himself! We do care! We are polite!..

What we do not know: WHAT IS IN EVERYBODIES HEAD?
    - do we learn? Will "THE FORK" protect those trying to "help"?
    Is there enough space for "evolution" of personalities?

Why do we respond at all to things we describe as being
    "stress"?- Despite smilies aats, will "normal" communication
    be possible w/o looking everyone "in the face"?

What can we loose, what can be won?

Does an applepie have any insurance?
    Can hamsters fly? Can a slingshot hit the moon?
    mmhhh?

Are (we?)

17. WildBill

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSySADkEfqQ[/ame]

-Wild Bill

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Well I don't know about the rest, but if a slingshot can hit the moon, I'm sure Joerg could build it. Maybe we can convince him to try :p

19. BeMahoney

20. BeMahoney

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPeu2WxJiQg[/ame]

I LOVE THE WORLD .

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013