Slingshot bolts

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by CEZ, Jan 12, 2014.

1. CEZ

CEZ New Member

This is a very mean dart:)

[​IMG]

It weighs 11 gram, 14cm long (without the fletching) blade is sticking out by 5cm.

[​IMG]

I haven't even pulled back to 70% length of my bandset to make it go through this 2cm thick pine board. I didn't want to shoot it at full force because it's already very hard to pull it out of the board.

The blade was cut out of a circular saw blade with an angle grinder, the shaft is a 1cm thick beech dowel. The "fletching" for lack of a better word, is a piece of shoelace just shoved in a drilled hole in the back of the shaft.

The steel is pretty mild, it bent a couple of times when shooting but that's ok, at least it didn't break. Also harder steel would take longer to cut and sharpen.

[​IMG]

If I would do anything more to improve on this design, I would stick another nail in the blade, it's not wobbling after 15 shots but just to be sure. Maybe make the blade a little longer.

2. Longwei2012

Longwei2012 New Member

My lordy, that could easily kill someone.

3. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Best pana darts/flechettes/slingshot bolts I've ever seen. I tried using nails hammered flat at the tip with a hook similar to yours, but they were pretty awful (back-heavy nails aren't the best projectiles) I like the idea of making them more like arrows. Could you post a pic of the sling you're shooting them with?

4. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Cool, I would use ductape flettchings, but other than that your golden.

Oh wait one more thing, when I saw those projectiles what I thought was crossbow

5. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Well they are more intended for target shooting, I got bored with regular lead ammo and I really liked how arrows stick in the target. For killing I would make heavier ones, wouldn't fly so far but more reliable.

Thanks, I was inspired by this [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SoG2D20YBo[/ame] and Joergs weaponized airplanes. But what really got me working were MJs posts of flechettes on SSF forum, he has some very good results and positive feedback though his are also full steel body.
    I shot them with an old, beaten up moorhammer/hammerhead that I use for testing in my garage (one of my first slingshots, don't have pic). The bandset was light, 2cm non tapered, I didn't even bother making a special string-pouch, I was so anxious to try it out I shot them by inserting the hook in the blade into the pouches center hole and worked alright.
    Then I shot it with my retractable monster slingshot with the tapered tube set you see in the photo. [​IMG] It's full butterfly bandset out of looped 1845 and 2050 tubes but I only pulled back to around my face to get the penetration you see in the earlier photos. That's too much power, pulling them out takes too long.

Thanks, I thought of those but since I hold them by the whole shaft(not by just the end tip) I don't want the fletching squeezing through my hand to mess with the trajectory.

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

dude that's mean, you wouldn't want to hit your hand with that! :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

7. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Already did, but fortunately not while shooting, slipped my finger while sharpening it. It's very crude and jagged - rips the skin instantly.