Slingshot as pest control?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by jnmbhj, Jan 28, 2014.

1. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

I have a small vegetable garden and over the summer there will be small beavers rabbits chipmunks and other small animals in my garden. Do you guys think I should a slingshot to get rid of some of them?

I currently use a store bought slingshot but I will make my own soon. I bought some 5/16 ammo for the slingshot and it was a mistake (too small)

Do you guys think it will kill or injure a small animal. Also I have large deer that eats all my pine trees do you think a 5/16 in ammo will kill it if I nailed one in the noggin.

Here is my slingshot
    Btw I am not sure How to hold this type of slingshot. The hammer grip really puts a strain on my wrist. There is a 5/16 in ball in the pictures.

Attached Files:

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Ive been a paid pest controller on and off for several years. I wouldn't recommend slingshots as an ethical or effective solution.

3. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

If you do not know how to hold your slingshot, then you shouldnt shoot it at animals, don't you think?

For your problem, ask Arturo, hes got a similar problem wit rabbits I believe (sorry if this is not true.) He practises a lot and hits a bottletop from 10 meters consistently.

The Slingshot: Did you get it from Dankung or eBay? If the latter is true, you might have a zinc alloy slinghot that could stick on of its fork arms into your eye.

4. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Boooh!

I guess if you tame the deer and teach it some patience,
    it would take a maximum of twelve dozen 5/16th shots to bring it down.

Throwing water melons might work fine, too.
    (to avoid the last means: a pointed stick!)

IMHO..

Be

5. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

I mean I can shoot quite well indoors I can hit a stick of gum from 25 feet away and it will be dead center. It just puts a lot of strain on the wrist, after a few shots my wrist gets tired. Also I don't know what you mean by " you might have a zinc alloy slinghot that could stick on of its fork arms into your eye." :eek:

6. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Lol :D
    Throwing watermelons out my windows at a deer...

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

He means that slingshot (I have the same one) is one of the inexpensive models off of EBay, meaning it's not stainless steel, but rather a cast zinc alloy - making it very prone to breaking and sending a piece of the fork into your eye. It would be best to discontinue use of that model right away and get a decent stainless model from Dankung.

As for pest control, I don't recommend it with the slingshot. It will definitely not take a deer with 5/16" steel, plus I don't know where you live but poaching a deer out of season with no tag, pest or no, is illegal where I'm from. There are more humane ways to get small vermin if you must kill them that are more reliable. A .22 cal air rifle comes to mind.

8. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

I mean I don't want to kill the deer I just want them not to come to my house again. I asked if a 5/16 will kill if I nailed one in the head of the dear just in case. I had a long problem with deer its like me vs 20 deer. Strangely they are deer repellent resistant and they come anyways.
    Also I bought this slingshot in a store when I went overseas for vacation. I have noticed that I hit the fork once when I fired a hex nut from it and it made a slight dent. If feels sturdy but I'll take your word and just dispose of it. There is some discoloring so yea I wont trust this.

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

What is with all these newbs thinking they need to impress us by killing stuff? No one thinks its cool to go off killing animals for fun. If you're telling the truth about wanting to be rid of pests, I suggest getting a dog. Never seen a deer or beaver that's not deathly afraid of a K9, it's easy too, just let him out for a slash to Mark his territory.

10. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

A simple mesh-wire fence around the garden will keep a lot of pests away.

-Wild Bill

11. I don't know the laws where you live but I am guessing the majority of the listed animals are not classified as "pests" in your area so shooting them with anything, slingshot or not, is probably a bad idea. Not to mention a few of those critters don't die instantly even from firearm wounds and shots from a bow, slingshot probably isn't the way to go in this case.

12. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

That's a good idea but since dogs needs a lot of maintenance so i'll pass. I will install a electric fence instead (on the inside of fence) It seems easier.

13. An electric fence will not stop anything a normal fence would not and is needlessly cruel. Just saying I have grabbed one out of sure stubborness and it is not pleasant...

14. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Since I have a mesh fence but doesn't work. I have decided just to make a inside garden instead.

15. WildBill

Jnmbhj, the best way to keep pests from interfering with your garden, home or any other such thing is to make sure that you are not supporting their habitat. All critters need, food, water and shelter to thrive. Is the property around the garden clear, or are there lots of places for vermin to make homes? Where is the nearest water supply- is there a rain barrel, french drain or other such enabling water source? Is your garden just a part of a larger food source, such as bird feeders, compost piles that attract insects, and other such things? Typically a garden will attract a few critters, but if you're being over-run it's likely that there are some other factors involved, and unless those are dealt with you could kill pests by the truckload and you'll never be rid of the problem.

-Wild Bill

16. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

There are a rain water drain near by and there are thick trees around where I live but no large food sources where I live. I have decided just to make an indoor garden or invest in a green house.

17. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Try paintballs. You can at least scare them off for a bit without hurting them much. Remember, if you are shooting something to kill, you need to do a clean, one shot kill. This usually means small things like squirrel and rabbits and means a head shot with heavy enough ammo from heavy enough bands. If it can't put a big dent in a heavy steel soup can, it probably won't be a clean kill. Try 1/2" or heavier steel or 9mm+ lead. Slingshots aren't generally powerful enough for raccoon, beaver, or especially deer. It's also very important to know your local laws. Game wardens in the US have a lot of discretionary power and not much sense of humor regarding their bailiwick. Safety first, ethics next, and liability are key when using any kind of weapon.

As for your grip, that kind of fork is meant to be fired with a thumb and forefinger brace. Brace one for with your thumb and the other with your pointer finger, like this:

Attached Files:

18. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

19. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Yeah, maintenance on a dog ain't cheap these days. I just had my dog in for an oil change and the mechanic told me he needs new tires and a transmission overhaul as well;). It's gonna run me a couple grand:(.

20. WildBill

I heard that when you cross an Atheist with a Dyslexic you end up with someone that doesn't believe in Dog.

-Wild Bill

Brian Cuyle likes this.