Slingshot and knife set

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by BrPio, Oct 7, 2013.

1. BrPio

BrPio .

I'll start with knife. The steel is my own creation of experimenting with smelting. A heavy blade 1/4in thick, 8in cutting edge, semi satin finish (I was being lazy),clay edge hardened can cut nails. Full tang, oak and black steel hilt, wrapped in brown single strand tsuka-ito (the cheap synthetic kind, not silk). The slingshot, forged from simple low carbon steel, a little epoxy on the ends for extra band holding texture, blackened and wrapped in the same tsuka-ito.
    knives 003.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Wow, the best twins since DeVito and Schwarzenegger. ;)

Fantastic work man, very cool design and wonderful craftmenship.
    Zwillie

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Is there anyone that like slingshots and don't like knifes? That seems impossible to me!!!
    Nice set!

4. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

5. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Now that's a set! I love it!

6. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

wow meeen awesome I love the combination of my two favorite weapons

7. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Wow, amazing set BrPio :cool:

8. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

9. Peterburban

Peterburban New Member

I like the "brute" in the knife!
    Would like to have one like it!
    Congratulations, great work!

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Okay, this set looks to me like something that Rambo might carry - big, bad blade combined with a military-style slingshot. Rangers, SEALs, etc., these could be some awesome military issue weaponry!! Nice work!

11. BrPio

BrPio .

Thanks for the feed back and here's a pic of some fun I was having with the knife. This was from a 5in away tap on the coconut. I was happy with the results.
    Snapshot_20130509.JPG

12. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Very nice blade and slingshot, you are really an artist with metal

13. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Great work, still one question: How did you smelt the steel?

(I would like to do such things:))

14. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Absolutely fantastic workmanship on both pieces.

15. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Agreed!

Great work :)

16. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Brother Pio, the blade is brutally cool, the slingy has much character. Both are fine examples of your work. BTW, isn't it a good feeling knowing you won't be trolled on this one?

17. BrPio

BrPio .

Thanks to everyone for the comments. On the smelting, 2 ways I do that. One is, placing low carbon scrap or iron ore on top of the hardwood charcoal fire in the forge. Keep it burning and piling lots of ground coals for a couple hours, than stop the blast. when cool, the metal has melted to the bottom and absorbed carbon from the wood coals. The resulting metal usually needs to be folded to homogenize the metal. Another easier way, is placing bar stock of low carbon steel in the middle of a wood charcoal froghouse style fire in the forge, keep it at welding temps (some of the steel will burn off). Than stop the air blast, very quickly toss several shovel fulls of ground coal to make it air tight. After a half hour start the air blast and repeat the process on that several times, the entire piece of steel absorbs carbon. And it's best to use wood charcoal for smelting, because with coal there is a chance of loosing carbon or absorbing sulfur, ruining the steel.
    P.S. the forum suddenly has such an air of calm about it. I wonder why?:rolleyes:

18. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Thanks, I will try that:)