Slingshot accident

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ColtSmith, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ColtSmith

ColtSmith New Member

So today i was shootin and my 3/8 inch steal ball ricochet off a piece of wood and broke my downstair window! We are going to replace the window (with my money) but i was curious if this has happen to any of you.

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Ricochets, yes. Costly damage, no. Not yet, anyway. I've hit the side of the house, I've sent many shots up on the rooftop, but I've managed to avoid the window. I know you're not the first to mention it. Probably time to build a proper catch box so you don't have that happen again, and so you can reclaim your ammo. Bummer deal, but those things happen. Take the opportunity to learn to build a good catch box.

3. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Nice neat hole in a kitchen window from a flyer.:eek:

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I've had ricochets as well, but I usually shoot in my garage or through the open door to my garage, neither location is close to a window.

I agree with Withak, time to build a catchbox. That is something I am working on myself.

5. Never had a damaging ricochet from a slingshot yet (except to myself anyway lol) but have had a couple of them destroy windows and parts of cars from spud-guns back in the day, let me tell you that is some scary stuff! lol

6. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

If pain equals cost,
    I weigh in with a mad
    slingbuilding tennis elbow
    I'll pay (attention) to avoid
    another.

Be

7. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Glass marbles will usually bounce off several things before losing kinetic energy. Be careful not to be in the way if you try it.

8. CJC

CJC BIG ELK HUNTER

I was shooting a lot of bb gun bbs out of my slingshot at one time to see if they are affective. Bbs went every were one little bb hit the barn window and now there is a hole in it.
    (DO NOT SHOOT BB GUN BBS OUT OF A SLINGSHOT) I had welts all over my hand and a lot came back and hit my face good thing I was wearing safety glasses, but they are affective for a shotgun slingshot round. ​

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Shooting a single bb out of a slingshot is fine, IF you are using a bb shooter. I know many members of the forum that have made a bb specific slingshot. They are also available from A+ Slingshots. Below is a picture of my A+ BB shooter I carry with me when I travel for business.

Attached Files:

10. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

I killed a balcony box while trying PFS shooting. Nice big hole at both sides. Completely through the box, the flowers and the dirt. Till now i don´t know, how this could happen.:cool:

11. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I've had lots of ricochets. My original catchbox was a home depot bucket and I was shooting 5/16" hex nuts, whenever I'd hit the edge of the bucket it'd break and send the hex nut flying. Never back at me or my property, but a neighbor or two might have some dings in their car...

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

My first attempt at shooting a stickshot ended up sending a steel ball whizzing past my right ear at a hell of a rate. This is the only RTS shot I've experienced, and I am not eager for another!

13. Schultz

Schultz New Member

15 Years ago I shoot again a fencing post, the ball came back, and Destroy a Window behind me from a New House where luckily no one life.
    The insurance pay the Window and my Parents confiscated my Slingshot that I have never again seen... The Start from a long break with Slingshots...
    Today I prefer to shoot Rubberballs or Arrows so that nothing happend since the Accident.

14. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

A ricochet made a nice and round hole in the window of my workshop, ducttaped it and the window is as strong as ever

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Same here, thats why my motto became "F#[email protected] stickshots". Twas my left ear though as I'm a southpaw.

Sent from my ME173X using Slingshot Forum mobile app

16. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

"Same here, thats why my motto became "F#[email protected] stickshots". Twas my left ear though as I'm a southpaw."

Me Too! "Stickshots. A Bad Idea that won't go away!"

17. dutch_slingshot

dutch_slingshot Just a Dutch guy

a friend of mine wanted to shoot one time, and for fun he aimed at another friend and actidentially shot him... he fell to the ground and had headaches but the steel ball wasnt at high speed luckily, a few moments later he could walk again.
    that was the only accident happened to me!
    greetings,
    paul

18. Can-Opener

Can-Opener New Member

Yea I got overly excited and shot a pop can on the shop floor that fell out of the catch box. The shot went through the pop can off the floor the garage door and then out the window. No problem i used to be a glazier. Just 26 years ago but they still go in the same way :)

19. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Never had one with a slingshot but when I first started shooting air rifles I was being sloppy and a richochet hit my shooting buddy in the ankle chipping the bone. His swift (and painful) reaction taught me a lot about gun safety!