simple arrow shooter

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by MaddyMax, Jul 14, 2013.

1. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

yes, the rubber will hit the frame!

arrowshooter.PNG

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Very smart and a great design!! This should work perfectly. And I have to say, I'm always an instant fan of the 90º band attachment style!

3. slawek

slawek New Member

i edit it a bit :)
    [​IMG]

Think this might work too :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  4. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

sure, but not as simple to build. ;-)

5. slawek

slawek New Member

Why not simple ? drill a hole and use epoxy to attach rubber inside should work

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I like both of these designs. Very original and easy to build.

7. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

... sorry, from my point of view at the moment. i have no such big drillbit and no tubes ...

8. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Nice design!

9. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Hi MaddyMax,

It's very-very promising! Am tuned to see how your develompent goes further!

Your original design and the modified works too. Forkhits by rubber is a fact, but I think you can find a well worked out draw weight / projectile ratio to deliver the most of energy to the arrow. Oh and a minimalistic puch /stringpouch design may reduce weight and in this case impact energy on reaching the fork.

In personal i think slawek's suggestion can add some kind of extra functionality when you want to sneaking up on target. If you're a hunter. You can shoot in vertical style and upwards-downwards easier.

Am not experienced in slingbows, but I was an archer. Most of my mates (including myself) were used lanyard to keep their hands relaxed during shooting. If your hand is not gripping so hard you can avoid unnecessary "micro bounces" when arrow slides out the "head". It's clearly visible in slomo archery videos. So a well placed lanyard hole can add lots in accuracy I think. I know slingbows are different in physics, but it may worth the effort.

Excuse me if was wrong in explanation and comments.

Bests, Tremo

10. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

very well explained!

it was just an idea of a minimalistic frame. slaweks design would even work better for my preferred sideways shooting style.

i use string loops like these (scroll down to last two pics; that rubberband was just for demonstration purposes):
    https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/what-use-replace-leather-29680/#post208871

without a mechanical release this works nearly as good as with one, using the proper draw weight. but it might shoot the leather off the frame?

11. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Nice work. Here is one of the SlingBows my wife uses. It works very well and the bands tend to follow through the centre hole.

[​IMG]

12. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Ahha!! I've checked your link. That's fine, and good to hear it works well! Shooting off the leather? Hm. Don't know. Am a bit concerning about the "feathers". The lower (vertical) might be hit by the throat of the "V" , but that's may be solved with some tests.

I think if you wrap the leather and not just glue/stick it into the V can be an advantage. If the frame's contour is not parallel (like it is after bandsaw/jigsaw) can help to create a self centering support. Perhaps with this wrap your fixing on the frame can be much more durable (against pouch at least). Just an idea. I like the leather concept coz it's elegant. Toothbrush like stuffs are great but this could be way nicer and compact too.

CrossSection.jpg

Have a nice day,
    Tremo

13. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Forgive my ignorance.....but why the leather? You can place 2 toothbrushes exactly where you signed leather. My humble opinion is that it would give less stress against the frame?

14. Schultz

Schultz New Member

I think also that it should work very Nice with your Design and toothbrushes.
    I´am looking forward for the Finished Slingbow. :D

15. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

because i like the idea of a design that i could make with just a knife and a piece of wood if i had to. there are many great designs out there with toothbrushes or whisker biscuits that would do a better job or will look much better.

i sawed out a rough shape of the frame today. as soon as i rasped/filed it and have done a couple of test shots i will post the results and pics.

16. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Understood. Like a survival stuff or lack of materials. That's a productive way of thinking!:)

17. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I'm looking forward to seeing this when it is done, seems like a good idea all around

18. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i changed the shape a bit. that's what i've done so far...

arrowshooter2.PNG

as.jpg

i was not in the mood anymore to file or sand it further. when it's done i will have to sew the leather together after applying some coating. we'll see when i have the time for it. i was unaware that i will have to make some takedown arrows also in order that this design makes sense ...

oh, ... some indoor test shots against pillows with rubberised arrowtips and a weak bandset were very promising ....

19. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is looking great, exactly like your drawing! Good job

20. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Nice Work, I´am looking forward how Accurate it is :D