Sideshooters TTF / OTT

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Biker_Bob, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Biker_Bob

Biker_Bob New Member

I'm new to slingshot shooting but I've quickly realised that the Hathcock Sideshooter style is the one for me<br>Been <br>practicing 1/2 an hour a day for 2 weeks now, I've gone from "barn door"<br> to 1 1/2" groups at 7yds - lots more room for improvement but I'm <br>getting a real buzz out landing the balls in the kill zone.<br>I've got a few questions that I hope some of the gurus can help me with.<br>I<br> find I'm more accurate with larger shot, I've got 6mm, 9mm and 12mm. I <br>think practicing with the 6mm makes me a better shooter since when I <br>switch to 9 / 12 my groups shrink in size - why is this? Could it be my <br>release technique?<br>My sideshooter is an OTT style, I found that it <br>shoots very far to the right unless I hold it an oblique angle (with the<br> forks pointing back towards me), It looks odd but it's comfortable <br>enough. I'm thinking it's because of the OTT bands swinging out around <br>the fork ends at the end of the stroke. I've seen comments that TTF <br>sideshooters are considered more accurate, given my experiences it makes<br> sense to me - I've ordered an "Ali-Cat" (Hathcock sideshooter style) <br>with TTF gold bands to see if it's correct.....

2. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

if your pouch has a centerhole, this should solve most of accuracy problems, either for ott or ttf.<br><br>if you shoot lighter ammo with the same (too strong) bandset as with heavier ammo, it's nothing unusual that the steelball might be guided more to the right or left of the pouch (especially without a centerhole).<br><br>too strong or too light bandset on hammergrip ott causes the same on shooting the ball more over or under the forktips (by sideshooting in all directions).<br><br>just be sure your bands have equal length from fork to pouch, that your pouch is symmetrical and with a centerhole and that the bandset is fitted to the ammo weight.

3. Biker_Bob

Biker_Bob New Member

I think you might have hit the nail on the head. I've noticed that with the heavier balls it definately hits harder, so maybe that shows that it's over-banded for the light balls.

4. DaveSteve

DaveSteve New Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center">
    <tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>MaddyMax wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">if your pouch has a centerhole, this should solve most of accuracy problems, either for ott or ttf.<br><br>if you shoot lighter ammo with the same (too strong) bandset as with heavier ammo, it's nothing unusual that the steelball might be guided more to the right or left of the pouch (especially without a centerhole).<br><br>too strong or too light bandset on hammergrip ott causes the same on shooting the ball more over or under the forktips (by sideshooting in all directions).<br><br>just be sure your bands have equal length from fork to pouch, that your pouch is symmetrical and with a centerhole and that the bandset is fitted to the ammo weight.</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>Very good point here!<br>By the way. Since you have a Bill Hays slingshot you may watch his videos. In his last video (Forced Flip..) he mentions that TTF is more accurate. Check it out.</span>

5. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

I've shoot both TTF and OTT and the only thing different in my case are the hand slaps (more in OTT, TTF also gives) all the rest the same ??? maybe OTT more power ??? it is so personal every one develops it's own technique ...<br>PS band can swing OTF (over the fork) also ball can pass TTF dead on in both TTF ot OTT depending mostly upon the release issue ...

6. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

<tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>Arturo Borquez wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">I've shoot both TTF and OTT and the only thing different in my case are the hand slaps (more in OTT, TTF also gives) all the rest the same ??? maybe OTT more power ??? it is so personal every one develops it's own technique ...<br>PS band can swing OTF (over the fork) also ball can pass TTF dead on in both TTF ot OTT depending mostly upon the release issue ...</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>i couldn't find a difference for accuracy either. every technique/setup has it's own + and -.<br><br>ott is more powerful when you shoot with "forced draw" (like bill hays mentioned) and doesn't need that high forks ttf needs. also i find it much easier to aim over the edge of the upper band by ott sideshooting.<br><br>ttf makes a cleaner acceleration/release that doesn't create that fork tip scratches on the bands (makes no difference, though the bands break usually on pouch side and with the right band dimensions, the ammo won't be accelerated anymore by the pouch when it arrives the fork). ttf make no/less handslaps and there's less chance to hit the fork (@arturo: i know we once had that topic. if bands are even and don't tear, no canted fork, when fork is wide enough,... )<br><br>once you get used to a technique/setup it makes no difference in accuracy i think. if i shoot always to the left, i make one little step back with my right foot (by holding the slingshot in my left hand). voila! corrected. rufus hussey didn't have to aim anyways. it's all about muscle memory and practicing a lot.</span>

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Well, everything is said, pouch, ammo and bands affect accuracy in small or big ways

8. Biker_Bob

Biker_Bob New Member

For me the question has been answered.<br>The TTF sideshooter arrived and after a few sighting shots I found my accuracy greatly improved. I found with the OTT that it always took me few shots to "warm up" and get my eye in, whereas with the TTF I can pick it up and hit things first shot.

9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Great to hear!!

10. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

<tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>onnod wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">Great to hear!!</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br>+1</span>