Should I bother?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Nov 26, 2013.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Have you ever watched a cooking show? You know, the kind where a person in a kitchen enthusiastically describes what they are doing as they are doing it while innocuous music plays in the background? Well, over the last two months I've been thinking about this too much. I kept thinking to myself, 'Self, could a cooking show be done in a woodshop in such a way as to be hysterical?'

So I've gone to the next step or two. I have written two short (3 minute) screenplays of 'woodshop cooking', and also arranged as innocuous background music the second movement of a piano sonata I wrote some two decades ago 'cause it is a pretty boring piece of music just to see if it would work. Presently, I have no workshop 'cause I'm in an apartment awaiting my company transfer, but next spring I should be in a position to actually film these two screenplays of me doing ridiculously stupid stuff to food in a woodshop while carefully following and teaching the recipe for others.

So here's the question- would this idea/theme actually be funny or would I just waste a lot of food on Youtube and get maybe ten viewers?

-Wild Bill

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

It would be funny and I would watch it.

3. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Sounds like something I would likely watch. :)

4. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

You should go for it Bill, I love watching cooking shows and having one with a woodshop theme would be very unique. something to set you apart from the rest.

I remember a cooking show i used to watch many years ago of an american couple in their late 50's or early 60's. they had fit out their garage as a kitchen studio and had a live audience. typical husband and wife banter and some less than optimal cooking pratices, but quite possibly one of the most entertaining show's ive ever seen on television.

Given the quality of the songs you have posted on here Bill theres no question you'd do a great job!

5. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

I'd watch it. Go for it!

6. WildBill

I don't think I could get my wife to be involved... She doesn't appreciate the whole idea of wasting food, and the recipes that I would make would pretty much be a waste... and a very messy waste at that. Perhaps the thing that concerns me the most is just what such a 'cooking show' would actually do to my tools. Sawdust gets everywhere even with good dust collection and the idea of having particles of vegetables, meats and dairy products finding their way into the workings of my equipment makes me reticent.

That said, I do sincerely appreciate the vote of confidence. Perhaps I can get some cheap used tools at some local garage sales and use those instead of my good stuff. After all, the world may need a cooking show that requires ear and eye protection.

-Wild Bill

7. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

I'd watch it too. I say go for it, you only live once.

8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Go For It!

Hey wild One!

GO FOR IT!

I have the picture of that Muppets
    "Moerebroed, rampampampam"..

Another inspiration could be "Dittsche":

"Holzfleisch" ("woodmeat")- will be hard
    to translate, but that figure is what we
    call "painless" :) enjoy!:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpjfRjrkLNU[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpjfRjrkLNU#t=1288 (min. 21:30)

starting with horsemeat in meatballs "Fleischklöpse" , "lieber Käse" - should be
    some form of bavarian baloney,
    an advice to fry a shelf, he (always having "worldideas") admitts
    that he invented "woodmeat", which turns out was not tested by
    him personally.. this is where his neighbour, Mr. Karger comes into play..

kind regards,

Be

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  9. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

HAHAHAHA! You surely has some screws missing in the head! Why not! give it a try!

10. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

11. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Surely you can come up with a new unique way to make "Hot melt glue soup?" "Toasted Cheese".

There are several words you can "Play" on like Biscut, that have both a food meaning, and a woodshop meaning.

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I would give it a go! You certainly have the creativity and flair that would make such a project very funny! I think that 'mock' food made from wood, would be even funnier and at less risk to your equipment.
    (I used a reciprocating saw to clean a shark once, and the damn thing still reeks)

13. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

go for it...not nuts no glory

14. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Brookly rules?- What a loveable movie (a bit european style? :) )

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yes. Do this. Personally, I like Alton Brown's style - brainy/nerdy foodie. I could see you doing something along those lines :)

16. WildBill

One of the two episodes I've written is titled, 'Shrimp Clampy', so yeah, I'm with you on this.

-Wild Bill

17. WildBill

Okay... I watched the whole thing. I only understood one out of five or so words in the dialogue as it was WAY to fast for my level of skill/lack of skill in German. That said, I got a kick out of the characterizations. The dude on the stool who only speaks when spoken to- and says innocuous nothings when required- made the whole skit for me.

-Wild Bill