Shooting Technique

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Bighaze51, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

Hi everyone, I'm new around here and just got back into shooting slingshots recently. I grew up shooting recurves and longbows but I'm excited about the slingshot. My question is, how do y'all shoot? I'm gettin better but I would like to know about gripping the handle, gripping the pouch, release and all that. Thanks for your help, this place rocks!!

2. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Welcome to the forum Bighaze.

Raul has sent you in the right direction. Learning to "turn and tweak" was the most important thing I learned. Arturo shows this in one of his videos.
    This is when the pouch is turned 90° to the frame so that the thumbnail of your pouch hand faces the same direction as the V of your fork points to. (Makes more sense when you see it)

I got lots of fliers and weird bouncebacks when first learning, so always protect your eyes.:)

3. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

How do you grip the handle?
    Hammer grip or finger/thumb?
    Bill hays got a video on YouTube how to shoot a slingshot.
    Everybody has a different way to shoot.
    Everybody has his/her own style.
    What works great for me may not work for you at all.
    Check also out Rufus Hussey on YouTube.

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i mostly shoot a finger supported PFS, and i mostly shoot it instinctively, i can't really explain how it works but it is basicly point and shoot, being focussed at your target and not at the slingshot.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  5. Bighaze51

Thanks for all the input. Right now I'm shooting hammer grip. I made a hefty cedar slinger today and have killed a few beer cans with it. I've always shot a recurve bow instinctively and I feel the aiming is similar with the slingshot. I'll just keep practicing and watching videos. Thanks!!

6. CEZ

CEZ New Member

I have had an injury to my thumb lately and decided to try Tobias' fist-grip style and butterfly shooting, I'm pretty consistent with it on my monster slingshot. That's the most unusual style I have tried yet though:D

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Be very careful with cedar, too soft. Personally, I live in an area filled with cedar and pine, i'd never use it. Not trying to talk down to or about you, just concerned with safety.:D Btw, welcome to slingshot Camelot.

8. Bighaze51

I was a little worried about the cedar being soft at first but this thing is beefy! I made a pickle fork shooter out of acrylic yesterday and found out I'm way more accurate with it. I also like that I can just stick it in my pocket and it isn't obvious I'm walking around with a slingshot