Shooting Problems and Tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xXdoomXx, Nov 1, 2013.

1. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Hello,

I have been shooting with my newest shooter and I found that I wasn't as accurate with this slingshot as the one pipe smoker gave me. (+ little sneak peek of my newest shooter:))

Any tips any tricks or video would be greatly appreciated :)

image.jpg

I'm trying bottle tops but I'm not accurate enough I can only hit these sized cardboard boxes from 5 meters

J

2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I believe that many people will come to you with tips and advives....
    let me make a different consideration.
    I have a small natura shooter, "moorhammer" shaped that Pipesmoker gave me. It has office giant rubber bands. It is accurate as hell!!!
    Maybe it is some "pipesmoking magic"....

I can't hit bottle tops too. (once in a while...)
    Practice. practice! Try not o aim based on the frame, use the bands direction. When master Arturo said me that, my shooting improved like 100%.

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Bv you made a little mistake when master Arturo said that /told me that, ....... I think lol

J

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

really!lol

maybe taught would be better

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I can only speak for myself, I hadn't messed with a slingshot for 45 years or thereabouts.

I did a lot of testing, building, trying different setups before I found what worked for me.
    Once I had something that shot box sized groups I went to work, made myself ammo.
    200 rounds of .445 lead balls from a lee mold.

Once I started shooting only one ammo groups got tighter.

So then I hung a single coke can in my catch box and worked on shooting 30-50 shots every day at different times. So 10-15 shots and quit, within a week I was hitting the can regularly. The next week I start getting 3 hits for 3 shots, no misses!

Now I'm using an airgun steel resetting target where the target is about the size of a golfball.

At 15 feet (5 m) its challenging. The first 2 days I struggled, the next went better, yesterday I had 6 hits on those small targets for 10 balls fired. Not quite as good as I'm looking for, but not bad.

But you don't walk out the door and magically hit pop bottle tops right off the bat either.

You have to put in the time, experiment with technique, use positive feedback. (When you hit the target, reward yourself, when you miss, give yourself a scowl and growl)

Shoot consistent ammo, from the same place to the same place, day after day after day.

Setup a good catchbox if you have not already. I'm not sure why, but having a good system to backstop my shots, catch my ammo seemed to be a big part of the sudden improvement.

Give yourself time to improve, it may take a while but eventually you will start hitting that can 3 for 3, or 8 out of 10 trys. Once you do, then it is time to make your target smaller, or your distance longer. One or the other, not both.

Remove the variables, as many as you can.

In my case this was getting geared up with good quality lead ammo, moving my catchbox inside, so I could shoot at any time day or night.

You can DO this, just be a bit methodical about it. Remember that slow and steady wins the race.

Last note, "if" you manage to do this, it will be uniquely yours. It will be your skill, your desire, your practice that will accomplish it, and nothing can ever take it away from you. It will be "yours"!

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

J, I stand the same every time, stare at the center of the center of the target, don't look away while you draw, use same anchor point every time, align bands so both point to target, release fluidly(the hardest part is making the release exactly the same every time). Don't worry about hitting something yet, try to group the shots closely on paper or cardboard(use a 2cm dot to begin with). When your groups start to get tight, then start adjusting point of aim to "walk" your point of impact where you want it to be. This technique helped me with new shooters till my instinct started to get better and I could trust my aim more.

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

You've received some good advice already, and all is well worth noting. Rather than repeat what anyone else has already said, what stood out to me in your photo is that you have two different slingshots, and each one is going to shoot a little different. I've managed to build a collection of about 10 slingshots at the moment. Each one shoots a little differently for me. And what I mean by that is that the point of aim is different for each one. It's the same with my pistols - each one has a different point of aim. On some of my slingshots, I may have to adjust my aim point a bit higher or lower on the target than others. Some models work better shooting OTT rather than 'gangster' style, or vice-versa.

My advice is to pick one model and practice for a while with just that model until you feel you have the aim point nailed down. You'll want to be sure during that process that you're not alternating ammo types or sizes or changing bands, as that will also affect your accuracy. But as others have said, practice, it's really the only way to improve your shooting.