Shooting position

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by EyAlter, Sep 19, 2013.

1. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

When I shoot, I hold the fork quite low and draw to my right hip because I am scared to get hit in the face. Does anyone shoot like that? I shoot sideways too. I am still a beginner and got once hit on my lips with a band. Hurt a lot. Of course only with safety glasses.

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I don't think I've heard of anyone shooting 'off the hip'. I would see the biggest problem doing that that you would have a hard time aligning for your aimpoint. Speaking as someone who is newer to slingshots, but more experienced with firearms, you really need to get a good sight picture to consistently hit your target. How was it you got hit in the face? Did a band let loose from the sling and hit you? Or did the band hit you after you released the pouch? I've been grazed by a pouch, but have yet to have a face hit.

You might check out Mr. Arturo's videos on YouTube. He has a shooting style that might be more to your liking. He has posted his videos on this forum and he's quite the accomplished shooter. He recently posted a couple of his videos on this thread: https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/alternative-release-turn-tweak-sideways-30972/

Hopefully his information will help you. As someone who took a pretty hard hit to the hand recently, all I can say is get back on the horse and start riding again. An occasional hit may just be part of the sport. Glad to see you wear glasses - keep those eyes protected!

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

eyalter, i got my face striped too with tbg on a ripped band, stung like a bastard! It's the price we pay for the fun we have. Just always wear glasses and keep slinging.

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

That is actually a recognized form. Search TexShooter on the other forum. He addressees that.
    It is a Really Old School style.

5. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

That's correct.
    Check out this link.
    Scroll down until you find 'rubber slingshot'.
    You will see a picture of a shooter there.
    I think this is the style you're talking about.
    http://thelibrary.org/lochist/periodicals/bittersweet/fa82f.htm